ADVERTISEMENT

George Taliaferro - an open letter to the AD and IU President

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Three things occurred recently that got me thinking about what IU has or has not done to recognize the accomplishments of George Taliaferro. First let me say I have never met the man. In fact I have never seen the man. I am aware of him from things I have read mostly on the Peegs forum over the years.

The three things that got me thinking today about Mr. Taliaferro:
1. Today I watched the movie "42" about Jackie Robinson.
2. This past week I read about the "IU 10" and the reconciliation with the University. I was aware of the events but did not understand what the ramifications were regarding the recruitment of black players in the post-Pont era.
3. I recently read about West Point naming a barracks after General Benjamin Davis, the first black graduate of West Point of the 20th century. He had been ostracized by his classmates for all four years at West Point. The "invisible man" became the first black general in the Air Force. He died in 2002. The article ends with the statement: "This is not West Point at its finest hour. This is a chance for West Point to recognize one of its finest."

So I looked up George Taliaferros' accomplishments:
  • 3-time All American at IU
  • Led the Hoosiers to their only undefeated Big-10 champion season.
  • First African American Football player drafted by and NFL team: Picked by the Chicago Bears in the thirteenth round of the 1949 draft but elected to sign with the Los Angeles Dons of the AAFC. Played with the Dons 1949; New York Yanks 1950-51; Dallas 1952; Baltimore 1953-54; Philadelphia 1955. Went to the Pro Bowl in 1951, 1952 and 1953.
  • While at IU he endured a great deal of discrimination and abuse. His attitude and demeanor reminded me of the Jackie Robinson story.
  • After his playing days he came back to IU as a special assistant to then-president John Ryan.
His story can be found at the following link: http://www.indiana.edu/~radiotv/wtiu/legends/episodes/taliaferro/

And then I looked at some IU sites to see what the University has done to recognize the man's remarkable attitude and accomplishments. IU has not even retired his number!

George Taliaferro is 88 years old. Wouldn't it be nice to pay tribute to the man while he is still alive? What are you waiting for?

Last edited:
Three things occurred recently that got me thinking about what IU has or has not done to recognize the accomplishments of George Tagliaferro. First let me say I have never met the man. In fact I have never seen the man. I am aware of him from things I have read mostly on the Peegs forum over the years.

The three things that got me thinking today about Mr. Tagliaferro:
2. This past week I read about the "IU 10" and the reconciliation with the University. I was aware of the events but did not understand what the ramifications were regarding the recruitment of black players in the post-Pont era.
3. I recently read about West Point naming a barracks after General Benjamin Davis, the first black graduate of West Point of the 20th century. He had been ostracized by his classmates for all four years at West Point. The "invisible man" became the first black general in the Air Force. He died in 2002. The article ends with the statement: "This is not West Point at its finest hour. This is a chance for West Point to recognize one of its finest."

So I looked up George Tagliaferros' accomplishments:
  • First African American Football player drafted by and NFL team: Picked by the Chicago Bears in the thirteenth round of the 1949 draft but elected to sign with the Los Angeles Dons of the AAFC. Played with the Dons 1949; New York Yanks 1950-51; Dallas 1952; Baltimore 1953-54; Philadelphia 1955. Went to the Pro Bowl in 1951, 1952 and 1953.
  • While at IU he endured a great deal of discrimination and abuse. His attitude and demeanor reminded me of the Jackie Robinson story.
  • After his playing days he came back to IU as a special assistant to then-president John Ryan.
His story can be found at the following link: http://www.indiana.edu/~radiotv/wtiu/legends/episodes/taliaferro/

And then I looked at some IU sites to see what the University has done to recognize the man's remarkable attitude and accomplishments. IU has not even retired his number!

George Tagliaferro is 88 years old. Wouldn't it be nice to pay tribute to the man while he is still alive? What are you waiting for?

I did have the privilege of meeting Mr. Tagliaferro last year at the IU Football preview at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. He was on a panel with Cody Zeller, Bobby Leonard, and others who were signing autographs. Cody was sitting next the George and I asked Cody if he knew that he was sitting next to a true living legend and Cody replied "Yes, sir - he's my hero". My dad was able to watch George Tagliaferro play at IU and he said he was the best football player he had ever seen (including the pro's). Retiring his number is the LEAST that can be done. I think the school should commission a statue of George to be placed at the East entrance of the stadium and a statue of Anthony Thompson to be placed at the West entrance of the stadium. George is to be recognized not only for his football prowess but the tremendous impact he made at a societal level. AT should be recognized for being the preeminent IU football player of the last 50 years. I cannot think of two men, both tremendous players and tremendous human beings, who better represent what is good about IU football and Indiana University

There is a display for him in Henke Hall, but I'm all for a statue. However, there is no G in his last name.

Reactions: vesuvius13
IU Athletics needs a statue of Mr. Taliaferro at the stadium, and IU needs one at the Sample Gates, with him walking toward town, maybe with Mr. Wells, heading down there to intergrate Bloomington businesses for the benefit of his fellow students for generations to come.

Yesterday is too late.

IU Athletics needs a statue of Mr. Taliaferro at the stadium, and IU needs one at the Sample Gates, with him walking toward town, maybe with Mr. Wells, heading down there to intergrate Bloomington businesses for the benefit of his fellow students for generations to come.

Yesterday is too late.
Yesterday is too late.....truer words have never been spoken. We befriended the Taliaferros a number of years ago thru the Monroe County Court system and Indiana University football. George and his wife, Vi, epitomize the human success story. Vi, a very successful local judge, and George breaking the color barrier for professional football. Five or six years ago we had the honor of being invited to their Bloomington home. That day my wife, George and I watched the IU-OSU football game. It wasn't much of a game, so during the second half we were able to view and hold many of his college and professional football awards and trophies. My wife and I knew we were in the midst of history. Oh yeah our son was also with us. Vi had him in a separate room sharing with him some of the decisions and rulings she had to make in her career. She emphasized to this 16 year old kid how important his personal decisions were.....and how they could follow him for years to come. I could go on and on about George and Vi but this reply would be too long. The Taliaferros are a walking success story.....a march through history. No other couple in Monroe County or perhaps the state of Indiana have had to endure so much yet stay so focused. That day at his home, George told me the story that MTIOTF eluded to. George was turned away at a local lunch establishment while attending IU. President Wells got wind of this.......and in my words George and Herman B Wells returned to this restaurant. President Wells told the owner in no uncertain terms that if George was not served he would see to it that no IU students would ever eat here again. I guess the rest is history. The Taliaferros are the most modest, genuine, caring and charitable people that I have ever met. The statue of George should have been dedicated years ago. How about naming the South end zone project after him? How about renaming the Monroe County Justice Building after Vi. Fred Glass tried to reunite Bob Knight with IU. How about Fred Glass reuniting IU with George Taliaferro? Nice job op and posters!

Yesterday is too late.....truer words have never been spoken. We befriended the Taliaferros a number of years ago thru the Monroe County Court system and Indiana University football. George and his wife, Vi, epitomize the human success story. Vi, a very successful local judge, and George breaking the color barrier for professional football. Five or six years ago we had the honor of being invited to their Bloomington home. That day my wife, George and I watched the IU-OSU football game. It wasn't much of a game, so during the second half we were able to view and hold many of his college and professional football awards and trophies. My wife and I knew we were in the midst of history. Oh yeah our son was also with us. Vi had him in a separate room sharing with him some of the decisions and rulings she had to make in her career. She emphasized to this 16 year old kid how important his personal decisions were.....and how they could follow him for years to come. I could go on and on about George and Vi but this reply would be too long. The Taliaferros are a walking success story.....a march through history. No other couple in Monroe County or perhaps the state of Indiana have had to endure so much yet stay so focused. That day at his home, George told me the story that MTIOTF eluded to. George was turned away at a local lunch establishment while attending IU. President Wells got wind of this.......and in my words George and Herman B Wells returned to this restaurant. President Wells told the owner in no uncertain terms that if George was not served he would see to it that no IU students would ever eat here again. I guess the rest is history. The Taliaferros are the most modest, genuine, caring and charitable people that I have ever met. The statue of George should have been dedicated years ago. How about naming the South end zone project after him? How about renaming the Monroe County Justice Building after Vi. Fred Glass tried to reunite Bob Knight with IU. How about Fred Glass reuniting IU with George Taliaferro? Nice job op and posters!
I'm happy to see more done for George, but I don't think he needs to be reunited with IU. I don't think he's on bad terms or anything.

Also, is this not him in our new football commercial?

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/614322

I'm happy to see more done for George, but I don't think he needs to be reunited with IU. I don't think he's on bad terms or anything.

Also, is this not him in our new football commercial?

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/614322
I have mixed feelings about Knight. He clearly does not want anything to do with IU so as far as I am concerned he can remain a horses ass. I suppose Glass did the right thing by extending the welcome mat to him. I would now like to see Glass put the same amount of time in doing something to honor someone that would sincerely appreciate it and take it as a compliment.....a thank you for what you have done during and post IU career. As a donor and long standing IU football core fan, I think that recognition is long overdue. As a poster mentioned earlier.....let us honor the man while still living.

I have mixed feelings about Knight. He clearly does not want anything to do with IU so as far as I am concerned he can remain a horses ass. I suppose Glass did the right thing by extending the welcome mat to him. I would now like to see Glass put the same amount of time in doing something to honor someone that would sincerely appreciate it and take it as a compliment.....a thank you for what you have done during and post IU career. As a donor and long standing IU football core fan, I think that recognition is long overdue. As a poster mentioned earlier.....let us honor the man while still living.
He was honored some time ago with inclusion in IU's athletic Hall of Fame. I don't think it's at all clear that he's somehow been denied the proper recognition due him by the University.

Three things occurred recently that got me thinking about what IU has or has not done to recognize the accomplishments of George Taliaferro. First let me say I have never met the man. In fact I have never seen the man. I am aware of him from things I have read mostly on the Peegs forum over the years.

George Taliaferro is 88 years old. Wouldn't it be nice to pay tribute to the man while he is still alive? What are you waiting for?[/QUOTE

Build the statue now. Have it done by the home opener! Plus the South End Zone project being named. Shouldn't be that big of a decision.

George Taliaferro is 88 years old. Wouldn't it be nice to pay tribute to the man while he is still alive? What are you waiting for?

Is he in the IU Hall of Fame?

They have everything it takes to be "Role Model Hoosiers!"

I posted this a bit more than three years ago. Now they will put the flags at half mast and put a sticker on the helmets. Too little too late Fred. The man is dead and he not going to be aware of any of these gestures. But it may make some people in the University feel better about themselves. It's not like nobody saw this coming. The man was 91 years old. RIP Mr Taliaferro .

Last edited:
Reactions: Larryismyname
Several years ago in the Wilson era Mr. George was sitting behind MTOTF and the Rockport Zebra in the new seats in the north end zone, Wilson chose to go for it on forth down. I turned to George and said 'sir. I think we should take the points." Special moment for me.

Reactions: td75 and 76-1

I'd prefer they put up a statue for him near the new entry. I want to make very clear that I'm not against the sentiment of recognition in regard to the number retirement I'm just not a fan of retiring any number... You only have 100 numbers (actually now only 99 since #32 is retired) to work with for more than 100 guys...

I'm very much for the statue however...

Last edited:
I posted this a bit more than three years ago. Now they will put the flags at half mast and put a sticker on the helmets. Too little too late Fred. The man is dead and he not going to be aware of any of these gestures. But it may make some people in the University feel better about themselves. It's not like nobody saw this coming. The man was 91 years old. RIP Mr Taliaferro .

C’mon man. How does this suddenly become about Fred Glass not doing enough for George T.? The guy departed IU 7 decades ago and now it all falls on Glass somehow failing this star player? I was informed that this proposal to construct a statue to both Taliaferro and Pihos came up during the Floyd era....and he refused. Donniger also was proposed this but decided to invest in two more stand-up urinals at Assembly Hall.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
C’mon man. How does this suddenly become about Fred Glass not doing enough for George T.? The guy departed IU 7 decades ago and now it all falls on Glass somehow failing this star player? I was informed that this proposal to construct a statue to both Taliaferro and Pihos came up during the Floyd era....and he refused. Donniger also was proposed this but decided to invest in two more stand-up urinals at Assembly Hall.
Who informed you of that alleged recommendation and subsequent rejection by RF?

They need to get this done...having a bunch of basketball statues up there and no football statues is a VERY bad look...When will they ever lead out with football??? GD!!

It took West Point more than 80 years to right their situation. Who cares why past ADs screwed up the Taliaferro situation. Let's stop passing the buck.

Last edited:
Who informed you of that alleged recommendation and subsequent rejection by RF?

Why don’t YOU name names? Tell us who told you specific kids won’t come to IU because of our shared facilities? Name the kids. Or the big shot coaches who would have come to coach football at IU but for the decisions of folks in Fred Glassville?

You are reverting to your old style - making a claim and then ordering others to disprove it, while ordering others to prove their claims. Different rule for yourself than others. That has a name too.

Reactions: 76-1
Why don’t YOU name names? Tell us who told you specific kids won’t come to IU because of our shared facilities? Name the kids. Or the big shot coaches who would have come to coach football at IU but for the decisions of folks in Fred Glassville?

You are reverting to your old style - making a claim and then ordering others to disprove it, while ordering others to prove their claims. Different rule for yourself than others. That has a name too.
Sorry, but attributing false statements to me (I didn’t say either of those things, as you know) in furtherance of your “good enough” campaign doesn’t suddenly give you credibility here any more than proclaiming last year’s 5-7 record as an example of a “great season” did. It’s just more empty noise from you.

Rather, this is a thread about George Taliaferro and IU’s efforts (or lack thereof) to honor him. If you’re unable to offer relevant commentary or you’re just here for drive by insults, why not find another thread for that? It really has no value here (or anywhere else, for that matter). Please stop cluttering the board with this nonsense.

Reactions: 82hoosier

IU doesn’t retire numbers (officially). There are former player banners all throughout the concourses. He has an entire display up in Henke Hall. There’s going to be a statue.

Reactions: 82hoosier
I ready that Anthony Thompson is the only IU athlete in any sport to have a number retired. To me the most impressive part of the George Taliaferro story is his perseverance and his humbleness. His groundbreaking athletic accomplishments, while substantial, are only part of his story.

For the very accurate reasons you state here, most people have Ordy on ignore. Don't feed the troll.

Right... this isn't about Glass...unless someone wants it to fit an agenda.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT