ADVERTISEMENT

Former IU Football Player Brandonn Baker passes away at 33 Years Young

TexasPaul

All-American
Apr 14, 2005
HTX
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/houstonchronicle/obituary.aspx?n=Brandonn-Baker&pid=175055143

Backstory Before IU @Westbury High School in Houston, TX

Cam Cameron came to Westbury High School and was recruiting a kid named Chris Cunningham. Brandonn was in the weight room and Coach Cameron asked who the heck that kid was lifting the house in the weight room. Meet Brandonn Baker a rare talent that works hard everyday and loves God...He saw him hit on the field and was sold even though he would not land Chris Cunningham he did not waste anytime in Houston.

Indiana University Student-Athlete
Brandonn Baker was everything that Indiana University could have ever asked for in a student-athlete. If you remember he would have started as a Freshman at IU; however, due to future health concerns it was recommended that he stop playing football due to health concerns.

He stayed on scholarship at IU and graduated with the biggest smile on his face. His smile was infectious and I never heard him complain about anything in life.

My Memories

The thing I remember about him the most was how he worked with kids in the Houston Area and always held football camps for kids. He always tried to help those less fortunate and had the best heart of almost anyone I have ever come across.

When he was no longer on the football team he enjoyed his time with students in the classroom, the Library, the Student Union, the SRSC and HPER and of course the occasional party or bar after the age of 21.

His faith in God and a higher spirit was evident in how he treated the rest of the world at all times. He was a person that just never had a bad day.

He loved Indiana University and everything that was afforded to him by the school and the people in the City of Bloomington.

I regret to say I was not in contact with Brandonn over the last 2 years; however, I will always cherish those car rides home from the SRSC or Library where we talked about life and always grabbed a bite to eat in my 1993 Toyota Corolla.

R.I.P. to the definition of a student-athlete and a person that appreciated every single day on Earth.

Paul
1486693_1149799175035194_3447092364776132868_n.jpg

So sad. Nice young man and would have been a very good football player. Extremely physical at the point of attack. I remember he said that he came to IU because he loved the black helmets.

ADVERTISEMENT