ADVERTISEMENT

California comprises 12 percent of the US pop

mcmurtry66

Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2019
But has half the country’s homeless population. I assume many, some, are transplants. To their credit. I’ve never understood being homeless in a cold weather state. Anyway it sounds like they are going to start breaking up homeless camps etc. it’ll be interesting to follow and see what they do policy wise. I have never seen as many homeless people in my own community as I do. Just sitting on sidewalks in front of businesses

Reactions: TMFT
But has half the country’s homeless population. I assume many, some, are transplants. To their credit. I’ve never understood being homeless in a cold weather state. Anyway it sounds like they are going to start breaking up homeless camps etc. it’ll be interesting to follow and see what they do policy wise. I have never seen as many homeless people in my own community as I do. Just sitting on sidewalks in front of businesses
It's becoming noticeable in Chicago and even, now, Oak Park.

Half the country's homeless in California, though. Wow. I know they used to ship them up to Portland and Seattle (ala Desantis and Abbott with migrants). I wonder if they stopped or are now just getting everyone else's?

• Sad
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
It's becoming noticeable in Chicago and even, now, Oak Park.

Half the country's homeless in California, though. Wow. I know they used to ship them up to Portland and Seattle (ala Desantis and Abbott with migrants). I wonder if they stopped or are now just getting everyone else's?
I don’t know. Pretty crazy stat tho

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I'm guessing all the warm weather states are really bad? Ive read Texas and Florida are not great either right now.

I've haven't heard a politician from any party have a plan for what to do. Just "it's bad".

My opinion. Reopen asylums, reinstate forced institution, expand state run rehab centers. Majority of these people are mentally ill or drug addicts. Very few are because of economic reasons. The people that are because of economics reasons typically bounce back pretty quickly.

I'm guessing all the warm weather states are really bad? Ive read Texas and Florida are not great either right now.

I've haven't heard a politician from any party have a plan for what to do. Just "it's bad".

My opinion. Reopen asylums, reinstate forced institution, expand state run rehab centers. Majority of these people are mentally ill or drug addicts. Very few are because of economic reasons. The people that are because of economics reasons typically bounce back pretty quickly.
I've read a great many might be a combo of mentally ill/drug abusers. Fentanyl did a number on the population.

Reactions: larsIU and stollcpa
Not sure where you found half. This has them at far and away #1, but not half:

Not sure where you found half. This has them at far and away #1, but not half:

Referenced here

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

step-brothers-did-we-just-become-best-friends.gif

Referenced here

There's a difference between "homeless" and "unsheltered" (though I haven't dug in enough to figure out what that difference actually is). The link below (See page 18, the first two paragraphs) confirms both what McMurtry and BradStevens are saying in their respective links.

I want to say I read something a few years ago that some state was buying plane tickets for homeless folks to move to Hawaii.

Maybe. Those programs are going to cost a lot of money. Are you good with raising taxes? Because that will most likely have to happen.
I am. Although I think it'll be more expensive than you think. To do it right, the standard of care would have to be much higher than it was previously.

It also might be illegal or unconstitutional. And it's certainly "inequitable" towards the "neurodivergent."

I want to say I read something a few years ago that some state was buying plane tickets for homeless folks to move to Hawaii.
The Anchorage, AK mayor recently suggested they were going redirect the cost of $100 per day, per person they spend on the homeless to a one way plane ticket to Los Angles. He’s trying to save lives because of the brutal winters.

The Anchorage, AK mayor recently suggested they were going redirect the cost of $100 per day, per person they spend on the homeless to a one way plane ticket to Los Angles. He’s trying to save lives because of the brutal winters.
Homeless in Alaska would be hell

I do t know the answer, but no one can deny the homeless are a problem in American cities. I drove across the main artery in downtown Indianapolis this morning. I saw more people laying on the sidewalks than walking on them.

How do you count the homeless population? Like, where do you send the form for them to fill out?

I like that joke.

I date homeless women because you can drop them off anywhere.

I'm stealing this.

My main beggar go to is to ponder about starting a consulting business to organize the corner beggars.

Teach them the tricks of the trade, how to identify the best locations, how to properly dress for the story you want to tell, how to best approach cars on the exit ramps, what effective props to use (dogs? carts filled with trash?), how to outsmart the competition for your space....all for free.

I get 5% of the donations. If I can manage 50 to 100 beggars all across the city working every day....it could work!

Anyway that's typically my go to joke when we see a beggar on the corner of the ramp (I'm telling you there is a huge opportunity there) but I like this one better cause you can make a whole bit out of it.

An 'I don't go to bars to meet women, I go underneath bridges' bit.

It's interesting because as a leftie I'm familiar with the Finnish model that has basically eliminated their homeless issue in twenty years. They flipped the common stairway process and started with 'home first'.

Basically they've created public housing that is available for anyone to use no questions asked and all that's required is a small service fee that is affordable for someone who can only find minimum wage work.

This housing has social workers on site that help direct them with whatever they need.... substance abuse help, finding employment, etc. Whereas the stairway process is more of a round them up, make them quit their addictions and then eventually after completing all the steps will get their own shelter.

People hardly ever make it past all of the stairsteps.

The other country that has crazy low homeless is Japan. They are much more of the tough love variety.

One their culture in general makes being homeless as the ultimate personal failure and stigma. That a lot of homeless people just kill themselves from the shame (I'm reminded of the old SNL sketch 'Japanese Game Show' with Chris Farley).

Secondly they make public areas harder to use. The gate off public parks. Their public benches have arm rests every two to three feet which makes it really hard to lay down. They have these circular covers for edges and tops of walls that again, are impossible to lay on. They are pretty aggressive at arresting loiters.

But mainly it's a culture so what a lot of the Japanese homeless do is stay in these tiny internet cafes (which is basically a room with a small desk) and they keep their appearance up so they don't 'look' like they are homeless again, from the shame of the culture.

So yeah, both Finland and Japan have crazy low homeless populations from two totally different strategies.

Last edited:
I'm stealing this.

My main beggar go to is to ponder about starting a consulting business to organize the corner beggars.

Teach them the tricks of the trade, how to identify the best locations, how to properly dress for the story you want to tell, how to best approach cars on the exit ramps, what effective props to use (dogs? carts filled with trash?), how to outsmart the competition for your space....all for free.

I get 5% of the donations. If I can manage 50 to 100 beggars all across the city working every day....it could work!

Anyway that's typically my go to joke when we see a beggar on the corner of the ramp (I'm telling you there is a huge opportunity there) but I like this one better cause you can make a whole bit out of it.

McMurtry beat you to it: it’s called the Dream Team. Harder to manage than you think.

I'm stealing this.

Already kinda happens...

Good luck staffing these institutions and centers. My wife is a DOD for a mental hospital in Louisville (UofL) and staffing is an issue, being a tech is not the most glamorous job and it comes with a bit of danger. My daughter is 23 and going to work there for $55/hour due to staffing and nurses not being thrilled to work with the mentally ill or those coming off being high for years. Maybe those who are homeless due to financial issues can be hired to work in these institutions. :)

Running these institutions is very expensive, like crazy expensive.

• Sad
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Good luck staffing these institutions and centers. My wife is a DOD for a mental hospital in Louisville (UofL) and staffing is an issue, being a tech is not the most glamorous job and it comes with a bit of danger. My daughter is 23 and going to work there for $55/hour due to staffing and nurses not being thrilled to work with the mentally ill or those coming off being high for years. Maybe those who are homeless due to financial issues can be hired to work in these institutions. :)

Running these institutions is very expensive, like crazy expensive.
Doing anything in a country of 400 million people is going to be expensive. Not sure this would be any more or less than some of the other bullshit we spend on.

Maybe. Those programs are going to cost a lot of money. Are you good with raising taxes? Because that will most likely have to happen.

Not immediately. You'd have to prove it out. There is a tremendous amount of waste in healthcare and I am not convinced you couldn't find funding via Medicare, Medicaid, other social programs.

The default shouldn't be - we have to raise taxes. That being said, I wasn't a proponent of the Trump cuts.

Doing anything in a country of 400 million people is going to be expensive. Not sure this would be any more or less than some of the other bullshit we spend on.
Sad part is even at $55.00 my daughter who is an RN will probably not last due to the nature of the job. She is young and agressive so I'm all in favor of it, but I know the first sign of danger or uncertainty and she will be out the door. My wife is off the floor so she has no patient interaction.

I sat over there one Saturday afternoon for an hour while my wife did some paperwork. The code for a fight was 101 over the intercom. I bet I heard it 15-20 times in that one hour.

Sad part is even at $55.00 my daughter who is an RN will probably not last due to the nature of the job. She is young and agressive so I'm all in favor of it, but I know the first sign of danger or uncertainty and she will be out the door. My wife is off the floor so she has no patient interaction.

I sat over there one Saturday afternoon for an hour while my wife did some paperwork. The code for a fight was 101 over the intercom. I bet I heard it 15-20 times in that one hour.
I can’t imagine how stressful that job would be. And probably not very intrinsically rewarding often.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT