ADVERTISEMENT

Boogie Fland - Here comes a big one!

If I were him, I wouldn’t even tell what the person did. The last thing they need is to know they have someone associated with the program who can’t keep their mouth shut.
It’s definitely second/third hand. It’s usually pretty accurate info though. Just stuff adding up.

Step son played basketball over the summer with BF. I, die hard Hoosier (graduated '82), reached out to step-son to see if he had any news on BF's upcoming commitment. Son says he's leaning IU, but UK isn't out of play, yet. I've heard chatter Calapiari going to visit this week as a final push. Hoping HCMW does the same, but brings the heat. I think LM's commitment yesterday really sold BF (and hopefully DQ) on the dynasty that Woodson has built. Asked stepson to wear Indiana shirts all this week to seal the deal. Bring out the closer, HCMW!
Look. He landed a 5 star and might land another. Where on the world is this Woodson dynasty?

Step son played basketball over the summer with BF. I, die hard Hoosier (graduated '82), reached out to step-son to see if he had any news on BF's upcoming commitment. Son says he's leaning IU, but UK isn't out of play, yet. I've heard chatter Calapiari going to visit this week as a final push. Hoping HCMW does the same, but brings the heat. I think LM's commitment yesterday really sold BF (and hopefully DQ) on the dynasty that Woodson has built. Asked stepson to wear Indiana shirts all this week to seal the deal. Bring out the closer, HCMW!
Most reports stating UK tonight

Most of the UK stuff is coming from one guy. They are all UK guys too.
Uh Huh Sure GIF

Look. He landed a 5 star and might land another. Where on the world is this Woodson dynasty?
Well, you're on an IU fan site and we know what that's short for, right? So, it may just be some exuberance over the prospect of getting two 5 stars in the same class, which I have to admit has me excited too! But, when there's a dynasty, one of the things that happen is your rivals begin to stalk you and take pot shots whenever they can, so maybe...

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I long ago came to the conclusion that I’m better off just waiting for the announcement…instead of getting caught up in all the noise and speculation.

It’s pointless.
It's wasted energy for sure. And the early crystal ball picks are about as useful as political polls.

Easy to say that now.
Of course it is. This is a fan site, no one expects to hear the "down low" here. The tea leaves were all pointing IU's way, from the HH announcement day, to setting the date right after LM, to the PT scenarios, Carmelo, following Cuban, etc... Maybe that prompted UK to "get serious" and find a donor(s) to raise their offer. Lots of twists and turns in a recruitment and probably all 3 fanbases have felt excited at some point. We'll know at 2pm!

It’s not confirmed just a few more tidbits. Cuban is following, The Daily Hoosier, a few trusted insiders on other boards. No info coming from UK at all. CBs all in IU favor. I do believe he told the coaches.
I thought he was coming hear based on info posted on another board by a usually reliable source. Turns out he was likely just using IU to get a higher NIL from Kentucky. Staff may have felt confident but recruiting is slimy with cal involved and you never know what a recruit will do. Tough blow given we will only sign one guy this fall when were were listed with more top 50 platers then we ever have been.

I long ago came to the conclusion that I’m better off just waiting for the announcement…instead of getting caught up in all the noise and speculation.

It’s pointless.
I also came to the same conclusion long ago but…………..I can’t help myself and still jump into the vortex with every high level recruit. LOL.

Not saying I love It but from a financial perspective it makes a lot of sense for highly rated recruits to keep at least 2 well funded NIL programs in play. Without any inside knowledge I have no doubt that both IU and UK NIL entities increased the Boogie $$$$$’s due to competition from the other program. Leverage will increasingly be “the way of the world”.

Not saying I love It but from a financial perspective it makes a lot of sense for highly rated recruits to keep at least 2 well funded NIL programs in play. Without any inside knowledge I have no doubt that both IU and UK NIL entities increased the Boogie $$$$$’s due to competition from the other program. Leverage will increasingly be “the way of the world”.
Leverage has never not been the way of the world.

Reactions: kkott

I would also add to this that it's possible, if not likely, that recruits (or those representing them) would leak false information to stoke the fire, so to speak. This happens in free agency (or trade) battles in pro sports all the time. So much so that press and front offices have long ago caught onto it and disregard public rumors.

It's called disinformation in the world of espionage.

Now that NIL is so influential in recruiting, we may as well get used to it in college sports -- and take all of these "whispers" with an even bigger grain of salt than we normally have. Not only could it just be somebody's wishcasting, it might well be deliberately leaked disinformation.

Plenty of past IU players have mentioned their recruitment was basically Knight giving them an offer and them saying yes.
And Knight's leverage in those situations was his success and the draw of playing for him and IU. Plenty of guys wanted the chance, so take it or someone else will. He'd tell kids not to take visits or risk the offer being pulled.

I would also add to this that it's possible, if not likely, that recruits (or those representing them) would leak false information to stoke the fire, so to speak. This happens in free agency (or trade) battles in pro sports all the time. So much so that press and front offices have long ago caught onto it and disregard public rumors.

It's called disinformation in the world of espionage.

Now that NIL is so influential in recruiting, we may as well get used to it in college sports -- and take all of these "whispers" with an even bigger grain of salt than we normally have. Not only could it just be somebody's wishcasting, it might well be deliberately leaked disinformation.
Isn't that how Tom Allen got his contract? "Florida State wanted him!"

Reactions: DCDAVID
Has it always exitisted to some degree? Yes.
Was it omnipresen? No.
Plenty of past IU players have mentioned their recruitment was basically Knight giving them an offer and them saying yes.

I wasn't just talking about recruiting. I was just talking about endeavors of human exchange in general.

As a general rule, people want to get as much as they can for as little as they can give up to get it. That's just human nature and common sense. Where that ends up coming down is often due to who has (and most effectively uses) leverage.

Clearly, the advent of NIL takes this to a whole new level in college athletics. They're all free agents -- and there is no draft.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT