ADVERTISEMENT

Barnes and Swanigan...

bsmitty08

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2004
Anyone know if Roosevelt Barnes is his legal guardian? Just curious if this could be a recruiting violation if he is steared toward Pu since Rosie is a PU alum. Seems fishy to me.

Anyone know if Roosevelt Barnes is his legal guardian? Just curious if this could be a recruiting violation if he is steared toward Pu since Rosie is a PU alum. Seems fishy to me.
Only if his ex-wife bought license plate frames 20 years ago. dws

Yes, Rosie is his legal guardian. He brought him to Indiana as an eighth grader to get him away from a bad environment. No quote, but I think he has a brother that got shot in the face and they thought it was time to get him away . He was from the west...not Californian I don't think...maybe Arizona? I have no idea if Purdue will get him, but many think so. I know they recruited him hard and I was aware of him as an eighth grader or freshman. Apparently Cal is out as Martin has no scholly's left and has a few PFs I believe. Purdue had Taylor getting a medical redshirt and so without Biggie the front line should be pretty good. The question mark is will it be PG role by several or will a fifth year that Purdue wants get a scholly? Recruiting is crazy...

Reactions: wiede
TJ...does Hammns and swanigan play together? Both are paint eaters and neither step out and hit any jumpers.

TJ...does Hammns and swanigan play together? Both are paint eaters and neither step out and hit any jumpers.

I see swanigan as an old style 4. He wants to play the 4 in college , but yet wants to go inside as a 5 as well. Aj would like to develop a little more 4 in his game. Swanigan had a 6'9" player on his highschool team and liked the ability to play in and out. Haas is the only one that can't go out a little on the four spot. Swanigan can put the ball on the floor and so he is much closer to a four than Hammons. Taylor sat out last year due to a foot injury. He is a little raw at 6'9 or 10" and really runs the court well...closer to a JJ build. I expect Taylor with his athletic ability to develop over time and if Swanigan goes to Purdue...I'm sure Taylor sees quite a challenge for next year. The "little" I've seen of Swanigan I think he is not a one and done, but a two and done player. If Purdue gets him...it makes their front line very good. If not, the front line should still be very strong. Swanigan and a good PG and Purdue would have a lot of pieces to beat. A good PG and no Swanigan and Purdue could be very solid as well. Without either Purdue will be good, but how the ball handling plays out will determine how good...

If he comes to Purdue is it becasue they feed the bigs and Purdue has enough 5'sw that he can develop more as a 4. This would push edwards towards a 3 and Purdue becomes a pretty tall team...

Thoughts on Weatherford? I have watched the kid many times and I didn't think he was a d1 bball player, let alone Purdue. He is a better football player than basketball.

Weatherford is a D1 athlete... He's not a true point (though can and will play it) and in no way shape or form is a 2-guard. With that said he can guard both and is bull strong. Also, he gets the game of basketball. He will defend his man, rebound well, and hit the open man.

I see swanigan as an old style 4. He wants to play the 4 in college , but yet wants to go inside as a 5 as well. Aj would like to develop a little more 4 in his game. Swanigan had a 6'9" player on his highschool team and liked the ability to play in and out. Haas is the only one that can't go out a little on the four spot. Swanigan can put the ball on the floor and so he is much closer to a four than Hammons. Taylor sat out last year due to a foot injury. He is a little raw at 6'9 or 10" and really runs the court well...closer to a JJ build. I expect Taylor with his athletic ability to develop over time and if Swanigan goes to Purdue...I'm sure Taylor sees quite a challenge for next year. The "little" I've seen of Swanigan I think he is not a one and done, but a two and done player. If Purdue gets him...it makes their front line very good. If not, the front line should still be very strong. Swanigan and a good PG and Purdue would have a lot of pieces to beat. A good PG and no Swanigan and Purdue could be very solid as well. Without either Purdue will be good, but how the ball handling plays out will determine how good...

If he comes to Purdue is it becasue they feed the bigs and Purdue has enough 5'sw that he can develop more as a 4. This would push edwards towards a 3 and Purdue becomes a pretty tall team...
Great info

Agree he is a D1 athlete but that being as a football player. He isn't a very talented bball player. He can't shoot, not a great handle and is all right hand. He may be able to give some spot minutes to play defense.

He can't shoot...I agree there but his handle is all to the right side because no one can stop him when he goes right. His natural athletic ability will take over and he will adapt as he needs to in that regard.

I can see him playing the "one" but not playing point guard. Maybe Mathias brings it up... or Edwards... or Davis and Grant is that guy that plays his game. He is never going to be 1st team Big Ten but as long as Matt uses him right, he will be successful. The kid can defend, he can pass, and is the best rebounder on the floor wherever he is playing. He took over his AAU team last summer when they lost a bunch of "top" guys and proved he belonged right with them.

I'll add one thing... I agree with you in that he isn't the kind of player you look at and think he will drastically change a program. Hell, I totally disagree when he gets compared to Kramer. He isn't that good of an athlete... but he is a better basketball player in regards to knowing the game.

But for spurts in the right situation, he will be extremely effective.

I still stand by my opinion that he would have a much better career at PU as strong safety then on bball team. As for defense, he has the potential to be a solid defender but I would not call him a great defender yet. He is also already 210 lbs if anything he needs to lose some bulk, he is built like a LB. I know Grant and have coached against him....great athlete, great football player, average bball player.

I guess time will tell... if he's already 210, maybe a LB instead of a SS. Kid could be 235 lbs after a redshirt. ;)

Agree 100%.....also he didn't have a left hand at all. He had a ton of single digit scoring games, so I wouldn't say he was unstoppable going right.

If he's his legal guardian, how would that be a violation? You don't think a parent has ever tried to encourage their kid to go to their alma mater? How is that fishy?

Reactions: bodog57
Maybe he counteracts Cline. He will have trouble guarding anyone and is limited in what he can do in regards to putting the ball on the floor...but can shoot... really well. Weatherford as a 9th guy works.

Thoughts on Weatherford? I have watched the kid many times and I didn't think he was a d1 bball player, let alone Purdue. He is a better football player than basketball.

i really haven't seen him. I know Curt (the AD) Ogden adn thought if I ran into him I might get more insight. Bret Bailey is at Heights as well adn I'm sure he has a perspective...;probably coached him...

If he's his legal guardian, how would that be a violation? You don't think a parent has ever tried to encourage their kid to go to their alma mater? How is that fishy?
Because it isn't his parent. His guardian is an agent....also if he is looking out for Caleb's best interest would he endorse Painter or Izzo? Not a knock on Painter but that is a no brainer. He could go play the 4 next to Deyonte Davis and probably go to a final 4.

i really haven't seen him. I know Curt (the AD) Ogden adn thought if I ran into him I might get more insight. Bret Bailey is at Heights as well adn I'm sure he has a perspective...;probably coached him...
Also I love Grant as a football player...but in basketball he is an athlete playing basketball. Skill set isn't very high but he is strong and athletic.

He'll end up at UK. Why do you think he decommited? Rosie had two kids of his own that he didn't send to PU, so I don't see this happening.

Reactions: jfreak623

Who is your point that's going to feed the bigs again?

Because it isn't his parent. His guardian is an agent....also if he is looking out for Caleb's best interest would he endorse Painter or Izzo? Not a knock on Painter but that is a no brainer. He could go play the 4 next to Deyonte Davis and probably go to a final 4.

So agents can't have kids? I know nothing about the man, but someone said on here he got the kid out of a bad situation where his brother or a family member had been shot? I'll give him a wide berth for that. If he's his legal guardian then he is acting as his parent and should have influence in a college decision.

Reactions: hoosier2112
Hope the kid makes a decision that sticks soon. Can only imagine what Izzo has to say on this one.

Since IU was never involved I can say I really haven't focused or read much about him.

For someone who might know...what's the deal with all of these school transfers/moves? From what I've read it seems like a lot of "stuff" but wanted to get a clear understanding.

Izzo is Izzo mostly due to player talent...whether recruited in the raw or just talented and missed or noticed for a few he got. Bo is a different story....great coach! Not sure if you are old enough to remember, but Izzo molded his team after Purdue toughness and the offensive influence of Heathcoate...at least that was his goal when he took over. Who knows who all has influenced him since, but make no mistake he has not hurt for talent.

He'll end up at UK. Why do you think he decommited? Rosie had two kids of his own that he didn't send to PU, so I don't see this happening.

Perhaps right or wrong Rosie doesn't steer his kids to his school unless it makes sense for them ...all with different scenarios

Izzo is Izzo mostly due to player talent...whether recruited in the raw or just talented and missed or noticed for a few he got. Bo is a different story....great coach! Not sure if you are old enough to remember, but Izzo molded his team after Purdue toughness and the offensive influence of Heathcoate...at least that was his goal when he took over. Who knows who all has influenced him since, but make no mistake he has not hurt for talent.
Most good coaches aren't hurting for talent.

There are enough passers on the Purdue team THAT won't be a problem. Also, Purdue does not want a player holding the ball as much as many schools use a point. The issue will probably be full court pressure and reducing the clock.. I think Purdue is able to work past that if zone pressure due to smartness or players and older than freshmen. Man pressure needs to be at all spots of Vince as a 3 or 4 depending on the situation poses "some" match-up problems.

What Purdue needs is a healthy Stephens and Dakota this year as the outside shooting needs to be solid. Throw in Cline and you have to think they can find two that can hit in a game. Make no mistake a good PG that doesn't turn it over and can play D and hit enough to keep the D honest and Purdue will be fine. PG is an area of interest though as PJ is still young and small...

Actually Izzo has not had that many 5 star McDonalds All Americans as the other top coaches in the country and still had great success. he has had a lot of players who was rated from 30-75 range but not the top end talent

That's not how the motion offense (you know...the offense that Purdue runs) works. Last year, Stephens, Mathias and Smotherman were the ones feeding the post the majority of the time.

Seemed to work pretty well for us...

Well enough for a 21-13 record and a first round exit in ncaa. Also only averaged 66 a game....one of the lowest in conference.

Wisky plays good defense and they averaged 71. Point being you can play defense and be a good offensive team.

That's not how the motion offense (you know...the offense that Purdue runs) works. Last year, Stephens, Mathias and Smotherman were the ones feeding the post the majority of the time.

Seemed to work pretty well for us...
I responding to the post above. PU weakness was their offense but this guy said it worked pretty well.

Actually Izzo has not had that many 5 star McDonalds All Americans as the other top coaches in the country and still had great success. he has had a lot of players who was rated from 30-75 range but not the top end talent

That was about the range of Robbie, E'Twan and JJ. Maybe a little low for victor. Don't confuse yourself with 5 stars. Generally speaking there is a positive correlation with star power, but there also is a regression. As I said, he had plenty of talent...how the talent got to where they are could be the result of many paths, but he had talent.

I responding to the post above. PU weakness was their offense but this guy said it worked pretty well.

most generally the weakness of the offense was the perimeter shooting. Some of that was due to Stephens finger injury and some due to Dakota's health issues. All that can only get better with another player like Cline in the mix and another big that may draw attention inside...

Well enough for a 21-13 record and a first round exit in ncaa. Also only averaged 66 a game....one of the lowest in conference.

I'll let you remind me when the last time you beat that team was....I seem to be forgetting. It was so long and so many spring creanings ago...

Because it isn't his parent. His guardian is an agent....also if he is looking out for Caleb's best interest would he endorse Painter or Izzo?

No offense, but do you know what a legal guardian is? Rosie has been his de facto father, and they have NEVER been hurting for money, and Caleb is a really sharp kid.

Points from your bigs
I'll let you remind me when the last time you beat that team was....I seem to be forgetting. It was so long and so many spring creanings ago...
well the last time either IU or PU was actually good was in 21012 when IU won the big sand was a number 1 seed. Since then IU and PU have been average

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT