ADVERTISEMENT

Back-up qb situation?

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
I was under the impression that Covington was way ahead of Diamont in ability when he was hurt last year. And now Covington is back on defense. Has Diamont's arm and overall strength seen substantial improvement? Are there any other quarterbacks in the mix to be back-up?

Reactions: ORG
I was under the impression that Covington was way ahead of Diamont in ability when he was hurt last year. And now Covington is back on defense. Has Diamont's arm and overall strength seen substantial improvement? Are there any other quarterbacks in the mix to be back-up?
To answer your two questions.......no and no (as far as I am concerned). I have posted several times prior regarding my concern if Suds goes down. I don't quite understand it, yet I firmly have come around to back KW as a great recruiter, great oc and our coach. I don't think CC will ever see the field on defense. Just take a gander at our linebacking crew....prolly top 5 in the history of the school. We don't get many Chicago athletes here, just wish CC was still backing up Suds. I would hate to see his athleticism get wasted sitting on the bench. I was at the NEZ for signing day and spoke with many players that attended. Zander was as polite and gracious as anyone there......but no bigger. I hope Zander red shirts this year but who does that leave as our back up qb? Danny Cameron.....Nate Boudreax??!! Certainly Austin King will be red shirted. If Suds can remain healthy, I see 7-8 wins as very possible. Without him, another year of nowhere's ville.

To answer your two questions.......no and no (as far as I am concerned). I have posted several times prior regarding my concern if Suds goes down. I don't quite understand it, yet I firmly have come around to back KW as a great recruiter, great oc and our coach. I don't think CC will ever see the field on defense. Just take a gander at our linebacking crew....prolly top 5 in the history of the school. We don't get many Chicago athletes here, just wish CC was still backing up Suds. I would hate to see his athleticism get wasted sitting on the bench. I was at the NEZ for signing day and spoke with many players that attended. Zander was as polite and gracious as anyone there......but no bigger. I hope Zander red shirts this year but who does that leave as our back up qb? Danny Cameron.....Nate Boudreax??!! Certainly Austin King will be red shirted. If Suds can remain healthy, I see 7-8 wins as very possible. Without him, another year of nowhere's ville.
If Sudfeld is hurt again, Diamont is far and away the most prepared replacement. No one else is or will be ready. Wilson's struggles to bring in even one top flight quarterback since he's been at IU is a mystery.

Reactions: WisslerIII

During the warmups before the spring game I watched Zander to see how is arm strength improved. He still does not have a consistent Big Ten arm. With no defenders or line in front of him, he still struggled to make accurate passes. I have a feeling that King will easily have the better arm of the back ups. Whether he redshirts or not is dependent on Sudfeld staying healthy. Zander can run for sure, but passing, he still has a ways to go.

Tre Roberson - left program
Edward Wright-Baker - left program
Dusty Kiel - left program
Cameron Coffman - left program
Blair Kiel - 5-star recruit (brother of Dusty) de-commits.

Having quarterbacks that have to develop an arm is like point guards that can't dribble ;-(

i was disapointed when c cov went back to defense. i thought he was a very intriguing prospect at qb. i hope donavan hale sticks there. love those dual threat qbs

If Sudfeld is hurt again, Diamont is far and away the most prepared replacement. No one else is or will be ready. Wilson's struggles to bring in even one top flight quarterback since he's been at IU is a mystery.
Diamont is the next best option now...I agree. But what is that saying? Obviously KW knew Zander needed a rs last season thus playing CC ahead of him at Iowa. I would much rather have CC as my backup but KW disagrees. If Suds goes down early, don't think KW will survive another 3 win season with Zander at the helm. With a healthy Sudfeld, this team is set for a big year.

Diamont is the next best option now...I agree. But what is that saying? Obviously KW knew Zander needed a rs last season thus playing CC ahead of him at Iowa. I would much rather have CC as my backup but KW disagrees. If Suds goes down early, don't think KW will survive another 3 win season with Zander at the helm. With a healthy Sudfeld, this team is set for a big year.
i think covington asked to go back to defense

Ive heard some really good chatter about how far danny cameron has come along in the last year. Apparently some of the players felt that he was the clear backup from what they saw in the spring.

He's had at least 3 by my count - Roberson, Coffman, Sudfeld.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
Roberson was a Lynch recruit, Coffmann was headed to a juco without any other options, and Sudfeld was told by Rich Rod to find another school after he took the UA job. Seth Littrell was responsible for getting NS to IU.

Reactions: WisslerIII
Ive heard some really good chatter about how far danny cameron has come along in the last year. Apparently some of the players felt that he was the clear backup from what they saw in the spring.

I'm a yes and no on Cameron.

He saw the field best - saw what was developing quicker. But he was not yet accurate with throws.

He was much better than I expected.

Roberson was a Lynch recruit, Coffmann was headed to a juco without any other options, and Sudfeld was told by Rich Rod to find another school after he took the UA job. Seth Littrell was responsible for getting NS to IU.
What's your issue with Wilson? Seems like you only stop by to beat this QB drum.

What's your issue with Wilson? Seems like you only stop by to beat this QB drum.
No issue at all. Just wondering why he's had trouble recruiting top quarterbacks. Why is that a problem for you? I like Wilson. But given his reputation for developing quarterbacks, it's odd that he has trouble recruiting top flight qb's.

Last edited:
Top flight QBs would rather play at Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and even Purdue before they want to play at IU. IU has no history or tradition. But IU can win without a top-flight QB.

Top flight QBs would rather play at Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and even Purdue before they want to play at IU. IU has no history or tradition. But IU can win without a top-flight QB.

We're gettin' ready to fix that.
12-0.
Rose Bowl.

What suggests to you that IU can win without a top flight quarterback? In the whole history of the program, I don't think that's ever happened, and it hasn't happened under K. Wilson.

What suggests to you that IU can win without a top flight quarterback? In the whole history of the program, I don't think that's ever happened, and it hasn't happened under K. Wilson.

IU can win with a "good" QB since the rest of the team is getting better....talent level is getting better across the board. 2015 is the year the defense contributes and takes a lot of pressure off the QB and the rest of the offense.

Maybe so, and I think Sudfeld fits that "good" qb mold. But it still doesn't explain why Wilson can't recruit a top flight kid to play the position.

Last edited:
Kids have to want to come - right?

IU is simply not a destination (yet) for top-flight QB's.

Win seven games in 2015 and who knows.

The great chicken or the egg debate with college football in regards to winning and recruiting.

Im not sure that sudfeld is the elite quarterback thats going to bring blue chip QBs to IU, but its definitely a start. Brees came in to Purdue under the radar and they've been getting Elite 11 QB's since. Granted a Rose Bowl helps with that, but regardless of how bad they are they get highly rated QB's year in and year out. I would like to see Sudfeld have a successful year and lead us to a bowl game, and then maybe some higher profile QB recruits will want to come in and play in our high octane offense.

Generally speaking, I think IU has been in a pretty poor position to recruit QBs since Wilson has been here. The first few years, the program was a bit of a mess and probably scared any top flight recruits away, and all things considered, bringing in Sudfeld and Coffman was a pretty good coup given how bad it was Wilsons first year. Also, I think that in order to attract a top flight QB to a non-elite school like IU, the QB would at least want there to be an open competition (no returning starter) their first or second year here. That wasn't case until this most recent recruiting class. Now, we are probably getting into worry about how much longer Wilson will be around. So to me, its not much of a mystery, just bad timing and circumstances. I think that if Wilson would have had a legitimate Soph or Jr QB his first year, we probably would have seen a top flight recruit come in for the 2013 or 2014 classes.

Reactions: IndyCusp
Rightly or wrongly there probably were a few unhappy QB campers when CW was unwilling or unable to name a starter for the first couple of seasons. Every week that there was an open competition there was one or more QBs who probably felt like they were being benched week after week. And the result was that literally every other QB transferred out.

That story probably does not play well with recruits.

Charles DeGaulle once said: "The graveyards are full of indispensable men". Unfortunately, willingness and determination alone doesn't cut it in big-time athletics if the underlying physical ability is not there.

yes because they have been doing alot of winning

This is totally incorrect, except for the part that Lynch DID recruit Roberson first, before he was let go. That said, Tre was Mr. Football and had plenty of other options after that season, but Wilson kept him committed and then started him as a true Frosh. He looked great until he broke his leg in his 2nd season.

Coffman had quite a few other offers besides IU. He went JUCO straight out of HS and had 3 years of eligibility left when he transferred to IU. I saw the other day that he was going to be starting for Wyoming this season.

Nate was committed to UCLA, not Arizona. Rich Rod never spoke to the kid. Jim Mora Jr. wanted Nate to remain committed, but he went from being the only QB in that class for UCLA to being the 2nd choice at QB for the new coach. Choosing IU allowed him to go back to being the #1 QB recruit for that class.

Reactions: FerentzSucks
Maybe so, and I think Sudfeld fits that "good" qb mold. But it still doesn't explain why Wilson can't recruit a top flight kid to play the position.

Nate and Zander were both 4* recruits from CA. If that's not getting top flight kids to come to IU to play QB, then I don't know what you think meets that mark?

Rightly or wrongly there probably were a few unhappy QB campers when CW was unwilling or unable to name a starter for the first couple of seasons. Every week that there was an open competition there was one or more QBs who probably felt like they were being benched week after week. And the result was that literally every other QB transferred out.

That story probably does not play well with recruits.

Charles DeGaulle once said: "The graveyards are full of indispensable men". Unfortunately, willingness and determination alone doesn't cut it in big-time athletics if the underlying physical ability is not there.

Though if Sudfeld was named the starter, Roberson was likely gone as well.

And Kiel and Baker were unhappy because they weren't cut out to be college QBs to begin with, as evidence by both quitting football altogether after Wilson's first year

This is totally incorrect, except for the part that Lynch DID recruit Roberson first, before he was let go. That said, Tre was Mr. Football and had plenty of other options after that season, but Wilson kept him committed and then started him as a true Frosh. He looked great until he broke his leg in his 2nd season.

Coffman had quite a few other offers besides IU. He went JUCO straight out of HS and had 3 years of eligibility left when he transferred to IU. I saw the other day that he was going to be starting for Wyoming this season.

Nate was committed to UCLA, not Arizona. Rich Rod never spoke to the kid. Jim Mora Jr. wanted Nate to remain committed, but he went from being the only QB in that class for UCLA to being the 2nd choice at QB for the new coach. Choosing IU allowed him to go back to being the #1 QB recruit for that class.
You're correct about Roberson in that Wilson kept him after Lynch was fired but the Coffmann and Sudfeld parts of your post aren't accurate. And both NS and AD were pretty lightly recruited California natives (NS had one Pac 12 offer and AD had none).

Im not sure that sudfeld is the elite quarterback thats going to bring blue chip QBs to IU, but its definitely a start. Brees came in to Purdue under the radar and they've been getting Elite 11 QB's since. Granted a Rose Bowl helps with that, but regardless of how bad they are they get highly rated QB's year in and year out. I would like to see Sudfeld have a successful year and lead us to a bowl game, and then maybe some higher profile QB recruits will want to come in and play in our high octane offense.

Well, purdue has only had 3 elite 11 guys, and their most recent 2 (Blough and Appleby) are 2 of the more headscratching inclusions as both were very lightly recruited (solid recruits for sure, but far from top flight). Orton was their other one, back in 2000.

Nate and Zander were both 4* recruits from CA. If that's not getting top flight kids to come to IU to play QB, then I don't know what you think meets that mark?

From the "Hoosier Huddle" website in June 2013:

"We figured we would get things started with, where else, the quarterback position. So I checked in with Alexander Diamont, the Hoosier quarterback commit out of the state of California. Diamont stands at 6'2" and is ranked as the number 95 pro-style quarterback according to the 247 Composite. However, by taking one look at his highlight film, you know that the Venice product has more talent than the rankings show."

Also, Nate was a 3-star recruit. The first time Sudfeld came in a game against Ball State his freshman year, it was obvious that he could play at this level, regardless of how many stars he had.

Last edited:
Although I agree Austin King will likely be a RS, I wouldn't absolutely count him out as an option if Sud's were to go down. It's not like Austin could play much worse than Zander was able to muster at most points last year. If the kid has the talent coach is expecting, I think it's very possible he would come out of RS. Definitely not the first option though.

While Zander appeared not to have the necessary tools when he got thrown into the lion's pit, he hung in there week after week culminating with a win against Purdue. I have no doubt that he will continue to improve. Hopefully he will get his redshirt year back this year.

That's an interesting question.

ADVERTISEMENT