ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon sez ...

E.Z.Rider

Aug 29, 2001
Oregon
In the past I have typed-up three or four paragraphs pertinent to our interests but after the last two seasons I think everyone can guess what the preseason mags think of us ... so here is the Cliff notes version.

Nationally Athlon has us ranked 81.

last years squads finished the season ranked:
OFFENSE
Scoring 10, rushing 13, Passing 8, and total 12.
DEFENSE
Scoring 14, Rushing 11, Passing 14, and total 14.

and, of course, we are picked to finish last in the BIG East.

GO IU!

In the past I have typed-up three or four paragraphs pertinent to our interests but after the last two seasons I think everyone can guess what the preseason mags think of us ... so here is the Cliff notes version.

OFFENSE
DEFENSE

GO IU!
Pretty obvious Coach Allen realized we needed a significant roster re-adjustment, and that’s what has transpired. All of the new kids will be in the two deep once the season starts, and we’ll need them to make meaningful contributions to have a chance at improvement. But kudos to the coaches for not sitting still and not deluding anyone regarding the composition of the team. We’re trying to get better, and hopefully we’ll see that on the field and the scoreboard

Go Hoosiers.

Pretty obvious Coach Allen realized we needed a significant roster re-adjustment, and that’s what has transpired. All of the new kids will be in the two deep once the season starts, and we’ll need them to make meaningful contributions to have a chance at improvement. But kudos to the coaches for not sitting still and not deluding anyone regarding the composition of the team. We’re trying to get better, and hopefully we’ll see that on the field and the scoreboard

Go Hoosiers.
I agree IU coaches' have worked hard to upgrade the roster for this season to match up with the talented players brought in with the 2021 and 2022 classes to make the team better. I hope the coaches can combine the transfers and previous recruits to have a good team this year.

OFFENSE
DEFENSE

GO IU!
With the amount of roster turnover scouting services don’t have much to go on at this point. The first four games will tell us a lot.

On paper the new additions look solid particularly defensively. The staff was apparently satisfied with the QB room once Jackson signed, but that is a big unknown for us. Lastly, we are not the only team that would be picked to finish last in the East.

Going to be interesting to watch this unfold.

That stupid East division. I think a lot of hard work was done this off season. I don’t think it will matter. Out football lifecycle is simply is there a way to win any 6 games so we can enjoy a bowl.

That stupid East division. I think a lot of hard work was done this off season. I don’t think it will matter. Out football lifecycle is simply is there a way to win any 6 games so we can enjoy a bowl.
Our climb is a steep one, particularly so since we weren’t able to get another quarterback. We’ll need to stay extraordinarily healthy, have significant development at multiple position groups, and some fortuitous ball bounces, to get to achieve a winning season.

IU has the players to win more games this year especially since this group is reported to be working very hard. The key will be injuries and the more IU is injury free the better the season will be. I like the change in offense going into this season and hope the defense is more aggressive with coach G calling the defenses with coach Wilt. I want to see less sliding up front and more attacking offenses with the outside guys rushing the QB on passing plays.

IU has the players to win more games this year especially since this group is reported to be working very hard. The key will be injuries and the more IU is injury free the better the season will be. I like the change in offense going into this season and hope the defense is more aggressive with coach G calling the defenses with coach Wilt. I want to see less sliding up front and more attacking offenses with the outside guys rushing the QB on passing plays.
There’s not going to be much of a philosophical change on either offense or defense this season. And that’s a good thing. We need to stick with systems.

There’s not going to be much of a philosophical change on either offense or defense this season. And that’s a good thing. We need to stick with systems.
You don't know that and I hope it is different than last year that was so bad. Coach Allen has already said certain players will be on the outside pass rush so that is different but it fits into the scheme. I guess the number of TEs on the team doesn't show any change? Two backs in the backfield doesn't show any change. Good schemes include different things but I guess you weren't paying attention to articles. The offense will look more like it did wih Williams in with shotgun still mixed in.

Last edited:
You don't know that and I hope it is different than last year that was so bad. Coach Allen has already said certain players will be on the outside pass rush so that is different but it fits into the scheme. I guess the number of TEs on the team doesn't show any change? Two backs in the backfield doesn't show any change. Good schemes include different things but I guess you weren't paying attention to articles. The offense will look more like it did wih Williams in with shotgun still mixed in.
Just trying to manage your expectations. We are going to adjust based on certain circumstances, but our offensive and defensive approaches aren’t changing.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Don't try to manage my expectations as I can deal with disappointment without your help.
Lol no kidding. Obviously no one here has any idea but with a bus load of new players I trust the staff will adjust to the strengths and weaknesses of the roster and that of our opponents.

Reactions: vesuvius13
While experience at the QB position is almost non existent,we do have experience at the RB position returning and adding some more through the portal.
The OL has hopefully improved enough to open some running lanes.
With the QB situation I think it’s imperative we stay out of 3 and 8 situations,
Just an average running game could be the difference between a 3 win season and a 6-7 win season,just my opinion.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

Coach Allen had his hands in the defense significantly the last 2 seasons and it was terrible. Not sure what it all means but it’s not good when the head coach, who is supposedly known for defense, has such a terrible unit 2 years running.

While experience at the QB position is almost non existent,we do have experience at the RB position returning and adding some more through the portal.
The OL has hopefully improved enough to open some running lanes.
With the QB situation I think it’s imperative we stay out of 3 and 8 situations,
Just an average running game could be the difference between a 3 win season and a 6-7 win season,just my opinion.
3rd and long isn’t desirable even with experienced QBs. 😉

TA and staff seem comfortable with the QB room as it is, but recall they were last year as well.

Coach Allen had his hands in the defense significantly the last 2 seasons and it was terrible. Not sure what it all means but it’s not good when the head coach, who is supposedly known for defense, has such a terrible unit 2 years running.
Injuries and depth played a big role in that. It appears the depth aspect is a bit better.

The QB situation is what it is,I think it’s very risky not signing an experienced QB but I’m obviously not the coach.
I have expressed the same concern but they have held firm since Jackson signed. So hope they are right.

The QB situation is what it is,I think it’s very risky not signing an experienced QB but I’m obviously not the coach.
They tried . . . Jackson was the last one offered a few weeks ago, but he went to UCF to reunite with TH. Gotta go with what we have.

Reactions: CC Mac
That comes from running the offense so fast last year with many three and outs which is what coach Allen was so upset with coach Bell. Hence having a running QB now and a loaded RB room with a very good OL coach. The first last season with coach Sheridan was the same thing which got him fired. This needs to change this season or our defense will get hurt again. Our guy we don't like much who acts like he has inside information doesn't think the offense will change but practices showed the offense is changing and he didn't think so. I put him back on ignore.

Last edited:
That comes from running the offense so fast last year with many three and outs which is what coach Allen was so upset with coach Bell. Hence having a running QB now and a loaded RB room with a very good OL coach. The first last season with coach Sheridan was the same thing which got him fired. This needs to change this season or our defense will get hurt again. Our guy we don't like much who acts like he has inside information doesn't think the offense will change but practices showed the offense is changing and he didn't think so. I put him back on ignore.
Like I said, just trying to help you manage your expectations with regard to how we’re going to run the O and the D.

Smart

Allen knew going into the season that the offense was going to be run up-tempo. I don’t understand why he would be either caught by surprise or angry over it after it played out.

Allen knew going into the season that the offense was going to be run up-tempo. I don’t understand why he would be either caught by surprise or angry over it after it played out.
He wasn’t surprised in the least. It’s what he wanted, which is why he hired Coach Bell.

Coach Allen's handling of the QB room last year should have all of us concerned. He CLEARLY played the wrong people ahead of Dexter until the end of the year.

Dexter should've been the guy from jump street. His passing would've evolved as the year played out. It's likely that Indiana would've won 6+ games with Dexter.

If Allen can't get the right people in the right seats on the bus, he's a lousy head coach.

Coach Allen's handling of the QB room last year should have all of us concerned. He CLEARLY played the wrong people ahead of Dexter until the end of the year.

Dexter should've been the guy from jump street. His passing would've evolved as the year played out. It's likely that Indiana would've won 6+ games with Dexter.

If Allen can't get the right people in the right seats on the bus, he's a lousy head coach.

Allen has been trying to find where the bus is parked for pretty much his entire tenure. He’s lost the keys somewhere.

Allen has been trying to find where the bus is parked for pretty much his entire tenure. He’s lost the keys somewhere.
I guess with very good coordinators in 2019 and 2020 coach Allen wasn't considered one of the best coaches in the B1G and some said in the country. Without very good coordinators that he chooses he doesn't have good records. I hope the two he has now look good this year and IU has a very good season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT