ADVERTISEMENT

Another BOOM today with Riggins....

Big Red Crimson Buffalo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
How in the world are we getting any commits if what they say at GBI is true? Namely that "Gloomington" is a big dump!

Trailer town seems to be doing pretty well and kids and their parents seem to be falling in love with this landfill that is home to IU.

How in the world are we getting any commits if what they say at GBI is true? Namely that "Gloomington" is a big dump!

Trailer town seems to be doing pretty well and kids and their parents seem to be falling in love with this landfill that is home to IU.

You guys are still in last in the conference so far this year.

Its not where you start out, but where you end up. Don't worry boiler, you guys will be able to have last place again by the end of the season.

Im confused as to why you think the measurement for a class became a competition of how fast you can fill it. What matters is getting quality players by the time that class is showing up to campus (something Purdue has been pretty awful at the last few yrs)

Boiler87 - it's not the quantity of recruits, it's the quality. You can gauge a recruit's star value by truly looking at their competing offers. Give me a 3 star recruit with a couple other Big 5 offers than the 3-star guy with offers from directional schools and the Sun Belt.
No worries. It's so early and this is right on par with what happens at IU every season.

The IU program out draws yours, has nicer facilities that are about to get a lot better, better tailgates, better audio video that is about to get a lot better, a better playing surface, lights for night games, better cheerleaders, and of late out recruits and out plays yours. It is also located on a far superior campus.

You may want have a seat Cletus.

Reactions: mk_peters
Really? You're going to do this AGAIN? You've been on various IU boards spouting off each of the past few years absurdly early in the recruiting process. It's June. We will end up ahead of you yet again.

The IU program out draws yours, has nicer facilities that are about to get a lot better, better tailgates, better audio video that is about to get a lot better, a better playing surface, lights for night games, better cheerleaders, and of late out recruits and out plays yours. It is also located on a far superior campus.

You may want have a seat Cletus.

IU football has made one bowl game since 1994 while Purdue has made 12 bowl games over that period including 4 New Years Day bowl games. You have beaten us a grand total of two times in a row at home (schedule break) while we were in the middle of a significant rebuild. While Purdue football is no OSU or Michigan unlike IUFB we have a decent history & tradition, awesome tailgating and B-club tradition and a beautiful campus that people on here should visit before sounding ignorant.

Boiler Up!

I won't argue to many of your points but:
When my eldest son was looking at colleges Purdue was the only tour we didn't finish.
His line was: "It's dull and looks like a business park. I don't want to go to school here."

And before you say he wouldn't have been accepted anyway; he was.

When my eldest son was looking at colleges Purdue was the only tour we didn't finish.
His line was: "It's dull and looks like a business park. I don't want to go to school here."

Fair enough everybody has their own personal taste as I thought the IU campus was too spread out and woodsy for me. Bottom line we are blessed with two beautiful campuses but Purdue still has a better football tradition :)

Yep. My fiance's younger brother can go pretty much anywhere he wants, and did not enjoy his Purdue visit at all. He preferred Louisville's campus, actually. He loved IU and Illinois.

And this is an IU board. Tell 87 to quit coming over here every summer to brag about Purdue's monumental recruiting efforts in May and June.

Yep. My fiance's younger brother can go pretty much anywhere he wants, and did not enjoy his Purdue visit at all. He preferred Louisville's campus, actually. He loved IU and Illinois.

And this is an IU board. Tell 87 to quit coming over here every summer to brag about Purdue's monumental recruiting efforts in May and June.

My wife is from Minnesota and when she was looking at schools, she made a big trip with her parents and had scheduled visits/tours at Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU, Purdue, and IU. When they got to Purdue's campus, she told her parents to keep driving - never even got out of the car.

Graduated from both campuses and any body who thinks they can compare the Purdue Campus to IU is seriously delusional. If you like concrete and traffic then PU is for you but there is a reason some have visited and left without getting out of the car.

Purdue has their own Lil Weasel AKA Mitch

I'm a huge IU fan over PU. But attacking Mitch Daniels? That's just crazy talk. Unreal Governor, wish he would have run for US Prez and PU is lucky to have him. He is far from a Lil Weasel. Sorry, but IU fans need to be able to recognize talent too.

IU football has made one bowl game since 1994 while Purdue has made 12 bowl games over that period including 4 New Years Day bowl games. You have beaten us a grand total of two times in a row at home (schedule break) while we were in the middle of a significant rebuild. While Purdue football is no OSU or Michigan unlike IUFB we have a decent history & tradition, awesome tailgating and B-club tradition and a beautiful campus that people on here should visit before sounding ignorant.

Boiler Up!

Nothing in my post is incorrect.

Certainly PU has a greater historical winning tradition than IU and I now I'll take your word for the bowl,count. Since 1990 Pu has won 16 buckets as compared to 12 for IU...hardly domination and there is a good chance There will another I. Added this season. Last year you were beaten by a member of One Dimension playing QB.

I have attended 7 non-bucket games in the last five years at PU and I assure you tailgating there pales in comparison. There is one thing PU fans do better than IU with regard to tailgating, and that is cold weather tailgating. The tenting is better, and IU fans simply can't bring themselves to wear Carhardts at a social event.

Bclub is not a football tradition, it is an excuse for students and young alumni to get blacked out off campus at 8:00 am.

The campus is not as bad as many say, but it is no Bloomington.

Again, nothing in my post is incorrect.

Hope that helps

I'm a huge IU fan over PU. But attacking Mitch Daniels? That's just crazy talk. Unreal Governor, wish he would have run for US Prez and PU is lucky to have him. He is far from a Lil Weasel. Sorry, but IU fans need to be able to recognize talent too.
Nice Oxymoron referring to a politician as unreal in a good way

I have never understood the IU myth about the Purdue campus. Everybody that has ever visited Purdue with me for a football weekend always ends up raving about the campus which looks amazing these days. Purdue is compact so it even though it is a big school it has a private school feel vibe with the all greek houses on campus....IU also has a nice campus and I like the main drag in Btown better then State street but the campus is spread out and feels kinda woodsy imo. I visited both campuses and fell in love with Purdue.

Just to put things in perspective, Purdue has been down in football since 2008 and in that period we have made only two bowl games and yet we are still 4-3 vs IU which includes a schedule quirk where the last two games were in Btown.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pub1986
I have never understood the IU myth about the Purdue campus. Everybody that has ever visited Purdue with me for a football weekend always ends up raving about the campus which looks amazing these days. Purdue is compact so it even though it is a big school it has a private school feel vibe with the all greek houses on campus....IU also has a nice campus and I like the main drag in Btown better then State street but the campus is spread out and feels a little woodsy imo.

Just to put things in perspective, Purdue has been down in football since 2008 and in that period we have made only two bowl games and yet we are still 4-3 vs IU which includes a schedule quirk where the last two games were in Btown.
Well, what I posted isn't a "myth." The kid hated the campus. He's not an IU fan either.

And are you seriously complaining about trees on a college campus?

Reactions: Iamhoosier
I've never quite understood the pretty campus boast. My daughter said to me during our campus visit (yeah, she pretty much had her mind made up), isn't the IU campus pretty? My immediate thoughts where if the prettiness of the campus is even in her top 20 reasons of choosing a college, I've failed as a parent! If my kid would have my drive them to a college campus and then state I'm not going here, I don't like the looks of it without seeing what the school had to offer, I'm pretty sure they'd be walking home. When you guys talk about how gorgeous IU's campus is, I wonder, are all these posters teenage girls! There's much more to be proud about at IU than trees & flowers.

I've never quite understood the pretty campus boast. My daughter said to me during our campus visit (yeah, she pretty much had her mind made up), isn't the IU campus pretty? My immediate thoughts where if the prettiness of the campus is even in her top 20 reasons of choosing a college, I've failed as a parent! If my kid would have my drive them to a college campus and then state I'm not going here, I don't like the looks of it without seeing what the school had to offer, I'm pretty sure they'd be walking home. When you guys talk about how gorgeous IU's campus is, I wonder, are all these posters teenage girls! There's much more to be proud about at IU than trees & flowers.

Bingo Purdue is all about a world renown education, family and tradition...
what does IU stand for?

what does IU stand for?
Well, if you and the other Purdue posters who frequent this board are any indication, instruction in basic English isn't a part of that "world renown education . . .".

As for aesthetics, Purdue is one of the ugliest, most bland college campuses I've ever seen, and I've seen many. Simply, utterly awful, as is the greater Lafayette area.

Reactions: IUXC68
what does IU stand for?
Every bit of that, plus the advantage of one of the nicest campuses in the country and tremendous social, cultural, and dining environment.

Are you starting to understand?

what does IU stand for?
It's not an either/or scenario. Both are fine schools, with good and bad points. But Purdue's campus is pretty awful, and is not a good first impression to make.

Though, unless you are looking to enroll in a highly specific degree program, there isn't going to be a ton of difference between the quality of education at major state institutions, especially big ten schools, and especially at the undergrad level. And probably by the time a student is taking visits etc, they have probably done their due diligence and have narrowed their list of schools to those that will fit their educational needs. So usually the final decision comes down to campus life aspects.

It's not an either/or scenario. Both are fine schools, with good and bad points. But Purdue's campus is pretty awful, and is not a good first impression to make.

Every bit of that, plus the advantage of one of the nicest campuses in the country and tremendous social, cultural, and dining environment.

Are you starting to understand?

Every person I have ever brought to Purdue falls in love with the campus and school spirit... Even my IU friends here in NYC admit they like our campus and don't understand why it gets such a bad rep from fellow Hoosiers. I have been to IU and agree the main drag in Btown is great but I prefer the layout and look of Purdue. I think the myth about our campus started in the 70's but I would suggest visiting again because the 2015 version is really, really nice.

Well, it's your kids that have to live there for 4 of their years and they don't spend every waking hour in a classroom so, yeah, I think appeal of the campus and surroundings is a factor in all of it.

As to the Purturd asking what IU is known for? Are you that dense?
When PU fans try to downgrade the aesthetics of the IU campus, it's like they were saying: "Jennifer Aniston is fat."

They cannot possibly believe some of this crap they post, do they?

Every person I have ever brought to Purdue falls in love with the campus and school spirit... Even my IU friends here in NYC admit they like our campus and don't understand why it gets such a bad rep from fellow Hoosiers. I have been to IU and agree the main drag in Btown is great but I prefer the layout and look of Purdue. I think the myth about our campus started in the 70's but I would suggest visiting again because the 2015 version is really, really nice.
Why are you trying so hard to convince IU fans on an IU board how awesome PU is?

You need to review my posts.

Not even the top 20? It is where you're going to live for the better part of 4 years. And likely make nostalgic visits after that.
Campus atmosphere was big criteria for one of my girls and I did kinda roll my eyes, but when she ruled out Harvey Mudd on setting alone I could not argue with her.

Not even the top 20? It is where you're going to live for the better part of 4 years. And likely make nostalgic visits after that.
Campus atmosphere was big criteria for one of my girls and I did kinda roll my eyes, but when she ruled out Harvey Mudd on setting alone I could not argue with her.
I guess I can except it being important to your daughter. I'm just a Midwest Jethro who kinda liked Purdue's campus and still loves to visit. Now, if you all wouldn't mind putting up with me a little more, could I get a few suggestions on where to eat at your tremendous dining environment. Had breakfast at Runcible Spoon, fair. Mother bears pizza, fair. Like the pizza place on kirkwood. Turkish restaurant, lukewarm meal with warm water to drink, blech. Italian and Greek places in bloomington's little town square, good. Breakfast at the bakery there in the town square, also good. Datz or Zatz, Cajun done badly. A hipster place in the 2nd floor of a building just off kirkwood, pretty bad. I liked the Irish lion. And my 2 favorite places, and you can laugh if you want, Buffalouies and Upland Brew. Of course this hayseed prefers breakfast at XXX, a burger for lunch at DT Kirby's, and a Bruno's pizza for dinner. I'm ready to be wowed.

I guess I can except it being important to your daughter. I'm just a Midwest Jethro who kinda liked Purdue's campus and still loves to visit. Now, if you all wouldn't mind putting up with me a little more, could I get a few suggestions on where to eat at your tremendous dining environment. Had breakfast at Runcible Spoon, fair. Mother bears pizza, fair. Like the pizza place on kirkwood. Turkish restaurant, lukewarm meal with warm water to drink, blech. Italian and Greek places in bloomington's little town square, good. Breakfast at the bakery there in the town square, also good. Datz or Zatz, Cajun done badly. A hipster place in the 2nd floor of a building just off kirkwood, pretty bad. I liked the Irish lion. And my 2 favorite places, and you can laugh if you want, Buffalouies and Upland Brew. Of course this hayseed prefers breakfast at XXX, a burger for lunch at DT Kirby's, and a Bruno's pizza for dinner. I'm ready to be wowed.

Now you are just being silly. Mother bears blows Bruno's away, Nick's pizza is way better than Bruno's. Bruno's also has no atmosphere. XXX is just gross unless you are drunk, although the Root Beer is damned good.

9 Irish is the only place we like to eat really.

Try the long line of authentics on 4th street, Farm, Upland, Nicks, scholars, Zagrebs, Tap on the square has great food, too many to list, also have the chains like Scotty's that is top 3 in WL but doesn't crack the top 20 in B town.

As I said earlier, WL is not has bad as the reputation, but food is not a strength.

Now you are just being silly. Mother bears blows Bruno's away, Nick's pizza is way better than Bruno's. Bruno's also has no atmosphere. XXX is just gross unless you are drunk, although the Root Beer is damned good.

9 Irish is the only place we like to eat really.

Try the long line of authentics on 4th street, Farm, Upland, Nicks, scholars, Zagrebs, Tap on the square has great food, too many to list, also have the chains like Scotty's that is top 3 in WL but doesn't crack the top 20 in B town.

As I said earlier, WL is not has bad as the reputation, but food is not a strength.

Mother Bear's is better than Bruno's but no atmosphere? That place has so many cool pieces of Purdue memorabilia and is a really cool place. I'll give you the fact that it's not as good as mother bears when it comes to pizza but your no atmosphere comment is inaccurate.

Mother Bear's is better than Bruno's but no atmosphere? That place has so many cool pieces of Purdue memorabilia and is a really cool place. I'll give you the fact that it's not as good as mother bears when it comes to pizza but your no atmosphere comment is inaccurate.

Yeah, I. Know there is a lot of memorabilia, and I don't mean to demean that. The place just seems sterile. Harry's has atmosphere, Nicks and Mother Bears have atmosphere.

Yeah, I. Know there is a lot of memorabilia, and I don't mean to demean that. The place just seems sterile. Harry's has atmosphere, Nicks and Mother Bears have atmosphere.
Thanks for some of the suggestions, my daughter had mentioned Zagreb before. I'm surprised you like mother bears so much. Most IU people I know say everyone talks about mother bears, but the pizza is kinda gross. Try the place on kirkwood. I did, and I agree. I'm not quite sure about the lure of mother bears for the atmosphere? I'll give the authentics another try, I hope the others are better then I believe it was Angelina's. Do you consider atmosphere a place where you can draw on the chairs and tables? If you go to Bruno's post game, you can often chat with Bruno, fans of the opposing team, and sometimes players and their families. I like that atmosphere.

ADVERTISEMENT