ADVERTISEMENT

Allen

As of now he is only charged with the crimes, not convicted. IU dismissed him on charges only?

Screen-Shot-2014-08-21-at-2.08.54-PM1.png

This was the tally through last summer. This relates to a wide variety of charges but only football players. This spans 2012 - 2014.

Last edited:
This is on Allen. I have been on the "pay the players" bandwagon for many many years and its just now starting to come around to a reality BUT.....that has absolutely no significance to this situation. If Allen wanted a little cash he would've gotten a small job. Even if he instead chose to sell drugs, he would've sold juuuuuust enough to get what he needed. He was selfish and his actions tell me that even if he was paid, he would've still been doing those actions.

My whole thought has not been for colleges to pay players but to allow players the ability to get sponsorship's. EA Sports made the NCAA hundreds of millions of dollars annually on college sports games but since the players got nothing and threatened to sue the NCAA for using their likeness, NCAA just nixed their contract with EA and that was that. Right there is hundreds of millions of dollars that could go to players and not cost the NCAA a penny but they say no. WHY? I could go deeper and begin to loosen the negative moniker around "boosters" aka alumni that have money and are willing to pay players without cost or liability to the university but I don't want people to have a stroke. Baby steps for the baby boomers.

I went to the same site they used for their data and these are the numbers for 2014-2015 for football/all sports.

University of Illinois- 1 football/ 2 total in all sports
Indiana University- 4/9
Iowa- 6/11
Maryland- 2/5
Michigan- 5/5
Michigan St- 3/3
Minnesota- 0/1
Nebraska- 5/8
Northwestern- 1/1
OSU- 3/3
Penn St- 6/7
Purdue- 0/0
Rutgers- website didn't have info on them
Wisconsin- 0/0

I'm not sure how accurate the website is but they even had some lacrosse/hockey/wrestling etc... arrests that usually don't get too much publicity.

Rutgers just had a kid arrested and booted off the team a few weeks ago. Darren Dailey, who was looking at potentially starting at a CB position this year. Dailey and another kid committed armed robbery. Held up a kid on a bicycle with a gun for a total of $20. The kid on the bicycle got the license plate of their car and reported it to the police who tracked down Dailey and friend a few blocks from the robbery. The armed robbery occurred in Florida where Dailey lives and not while on campus at Rutgers. I guess too much free time when at home and cruising during a late night with a buddy looking for trouble, nothing good can come from it. Coach Flood was quick to act once he established the facts.

This is on Allen. I have been on the "pay the players" bandwagon for many many years and its just now starting to come around to a reality BUT.....that has absolutely no significance to this situation. If Allen wanted a little cash he would've gotten a small job. Even if he instead chose to sell drugs, he would've sold juuuuuust enough to get what he needed. He was selfish and his actions tell me that even if he was paid, he would've still been doing those actions.

My whole thought has not been for colleges to pay players but to allow players the ability to get sponsorship's. EA Sports made the NCAA hundreds of millions of dollars annually on college sports games but since the players got nothing and threatened to sue the NCAA for using their likeness, NCAA just nixed their contract with EA and that was that. Right there is hundreds of millions of dollars that could go to players and not cost the NCAA a penny but they say no. WHY? I could go deeper and begin to loosen the negative moniker around "boosters" aka alumni that have money and are willing to pay players without cost or liability to the university but I don't want people to have a stroke. Baby steps for the baby boomers.
I would take your thought one step further. I think it's time to consider abolishing football and basketball as varsity sports at the college level. The NFL and NBA will figure out how to form development leagues, just as MLB has its minor leagues. Why keep entwining these two "money sports" and all of their related expenses with education?

Last edited:
I would take your thought one step further. I think it's time to consider abolishing football and basketball as varsity sports at the college level. The NFL and NBA will figure out how to form development leagues, just as MLB has its minor leagues. Why keep entwining these two "money sports" and all of their related expenses with education?

To consider taking varsity sports out of the collegiate level and sending kids straight to the NBA or NFL assumes that colleges serve no value. Only 2% of college football players make the NFL. A college education provides opportunities for these kids long after football is no longer an option.
For every Antonio Allen, there are probably 5 kids who came from the same type of environment and accept a scholarship and find that college gets their head screwed on right. The reality of this is that student-athletes get a big opportunity to use school to make a life for themselves after all of these dreams of being one of those lucky 2% dry up.

Reactions: 82hoosier
Abolish football on a college campus......never happening. College football generates more money than many pro sports. College football is a machine.....In 2013,total revenues were this for the major pro sports: MLB was $8 billion, NFL $6 billion, NBA approx. $5 billion, NHL $3.7 billion. That year, college football was $3.6 billion in gate receipts for the 126 Div-1 teams alone.

The ESPN college football contract for the college football playoff was $5.6 billion for 12 years.........now let's talk about the jerseys, banners, sweatshirts, flags etc. being sold at college campuses. Then let's add all the licensed material lining the walls of Dick's, Champs, Finish Line etc. How are you going to get rid of college "anything"?
There are many areas of the country where college football dwarfs pro "everything" And a winning team keeps donor money pouring into the colleges for education. Just compare university donors money when IU had Bobby Knight and was winning titles, versus when they don't win, what do you think it is? Kinda like Joe Pesci in "My Cousin Vinny"

"Option A get my a$$ kicked or, Option B, kick your a$$, and collect $200....I'm going with Option B."

Last edited:
IUX, I understand your thought process but Big Red does have a point. I think its the mindset that kids in college shouldn't be able to make cash off their own likeness is at its core, weird. Why can't someone be making good money while also getting an education. The market shows there is value there and if that's the case, why is it so harmful? Having these players make the university money (which they surely are) allows the university to fund other sports and provide education to a lot of people who might not otherwise be able to.

I think the hardest part of thinking forward is to have the taboo of booster pulled out of our psyche. Remove the word if we have to. The NCAA branded an alumni who is willing to "recruit" a player as a borderline felony. Back in the day there wasn't as much money in sports so it made more sense at that time but the NCAA is now passing B-B-B-BILLIONS of dollars through their coffers each year. The arms race has become so ridiculous that schools are building massive weight rooms with unnecessary empty space just to consider themselves the largest weight lifting facility in the NCAA. It's officially time. The cost is minimal to nothing to the NCAA and the liability is zero. I understand there will be bumps in the road when trying to hammer out guidelines that are justifiable but these kids are now bringing in billions of dollars and they deserve to get compensated. Why hold them back?

IUX, I understand your thought process but Big Red does have a point. I think its the mindset that kids in college shouldn't be able to make cash off their own likeness is at its core, weird. Why can't someone be making good money while also getting an education. The market shows there is value there and if that's the case, why is it so harmful? Having these players make the university money (which they surely are) allows the university to fund other sports and provide education to a lot of people who might not otherwise be able to.

I think the hardest part of thinking forward is to have the taboo of booster pulled out of our psyche. Remove the word if we have to. The NCAA branded an alumni who is willing to "recruit" a player as a borderline felony. Back in the day there wasn't as much money in sports so it made more sense at that time but the NCAA is now passing B-B-B-BILLIONS of dollars through their coffers each year. The arms race has become so ridiculous that schools are building massive weight rooms with unnecessary empty space just to consider themselves the largest weight lifting facility in the NCAA. It's officially time. The cost is minimal to nothing to the NCAA and the liability is zero. I understand there will be bumps in the road when trying to hammer out guidelines that are justifiable but these kids are now bringing in billions of dollars and they deserve to get compensated. Why hold them back?

Thanks to you and Big Red for some good comments. My interest is in prompting some serious and continuing conversation, even though I have no expectation that massive change will be undertaken by the major conferences or the NCAA any time soon.

Thanks to you and Big Red for some good comments. My interest is in prompting some serious and continuing conversation, even though I have no expectation that massive change will be undertaken by the major conferences or the NCAA any time soon.

To me it's the holier than though NCAA that acts like 18-22 year old kids have NO RIGHT to earn cash using their emblem but you better believe the NCAA will horde all cash that's created because of those 18-22 year old kids. The NCAA needs a complete reality check. Kids that can get an alumni to pay them or a sponsor to pay them are likely kids that are really good. They set their own value. Meanwhile, there will be other kids that are not getting those funds and will only get a scholarship. It's the way the world turns but it takes out the weird question of "so are you going to pay the best player more than the worst?" No, the NCAA will do everything equal but some sponsor might pay the best player and not the worst. It's no different than the shoe companies and agents that have controlled recruiting for a long long time. We can't play this naive game anymore.

College FB (and men's BB and to a certain extent ice hockey at some schools)
fund women's sports and olympic sports so abolishing FB and men's BB ain't
gonna happen.

He's from a really tough inner city neighborhood in Indy. Like extremely tough. High narcotics area but there's no excuse for this at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT