ADVERTISEMENT

Adifferent set of 9/11 photos

Rockfish1

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
From Frontline:

In never-before-released photographs taken on Sept. 11, 2001, the shock, horror and gravity of the terrorist attacks can be read on the faces of President George Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney, their wives Laura and Lynne, National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, CIA Director George Tenet and other senior Bush and Cheney staffers.

The photos were released in response to a Freedom of Information Act request filed by Colette Neirouz Hanna, coordinating producer for the Kirk Documentary Group, which covered the Bush administration in many films for FRONTLINE, including Bush’s War, Cheney’s Law and The Dark Side.

The photographs, which were taken by the vice president’s staff photographer, show Cheney watching footage of the World Trade Center attack in his office. Other photos show Cheney and other senior staffers meeting in the President’s Emergency Operations Center, or the secure bunker deep underneath the White House.
As Frontline notes, "Those in the room that day say the attacks had a profound effect on Cheney and shaped his entire time in office."

All of us remember what a gut punch that day was. It knocked the sense out of me for a while, and it must have been a much more wrenching experience for those primarily responsible for our national security. I don't envy any of them for what that must have felt like. Even if they genuinely believed they'd done all they could, that would be a body blow.

If this view is correct -- that 9/11 put the zap on Cheney's head -- then this is a picture of Dick Cheney becoming a Sith Lord:

19729035620_3b4c235270_z.jpg

Frontline notes: "Cheney will soon announce from Camp David that the United States will have to work the 'dark side.'"

I never had any regard for George Bush's intellect, but I thought he'd assembled a foreign policy A Team. Dick Cheney, Colin Powell, Donald Rumsfeld, and Condi Rice looked like a set of heavyweights to me. In retrospect, they seem like the worst possible people to have held those offices at that time.

When I look at that photo of Cheney, I see a righteously angry man grimly determined that he will do anything and everything to right the grievous wrong he'd just endured. Unfortunately, most of what he would go on to do would make things very much worse.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Reactions: Circlejoe
From Frontline:

In never-before-released photographs taken on Sept. 11, 2001, the shock, horror and gravity of the terrorist attacks can be read on the faces of President George Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney, their wives Laura and Lynne, National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, CIA Director George Tenet and other senior Bush and Cheney staffers.

The photos were released in response to a Freedom of Information Act request filed by Colette Neirouz Hanna, coordinating producer for the Kirk Documentary Group, which covered the Bush administration in many films for FRONTLINE, including Bush’s War, Cheney’s Law and The Dark Side.

The photographs, which were taken by the vice president’s staff photographer, show Cheney watching footage of the World Trade Center attack in his office. Other photos show Cheney and other senior staffers meeting in the President’s Emergency Operations Center, or the secure bunker deep underneath the White House.
As Frontline notes, "Those in the room that day say the attacks had a profound effect on Cheney and shaped his entire time in office."

All of us remember what a gut punch that day was. It knocked the sense out of me for a while, and it must have been a much more wrenching experience for those primarily responsible for our national security. I don't envy any of them for what that must have felt like. Even if they genuinely believed they'd done all they could, that would be a body blow.

If this view is correct -- that 9/11 put the zap on Cheney's head -- then this is a picture of Dick Cheney becoming a Sith Lord:

Frontline notes: "Cheney will soon announce from Camp David that the United States will have to work the 'dark side.'"

I never had any regard for George Bush's intellect, but I thought he'd assembled a foreign policy A Team. Dick Cheney, Colin Powell, Donald Rumsfeld, and Condi Rice looked like a set of heavyweights to me. In retrospect, they seem like the worst possible people to have held those offices at that time.

When I look at that photo of Cheney, I see a righteously angry man grimly determined that he will do anything and everything to right the grievous wrong he'd just endured. Unfortunately, most of what he would go on to do would make things very much worse.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Many complications.

Succession is big problem in all history. U.S. has new succession in 4 or 8 years. Maybe good, some time bad. In succession Clinton say watch bin Laden. Bush is naive simpleton. Fake cowboy. Bad succession = historic tragedy.

U.S. is Christian. Christianity assumption is all people evil. Justification for kill evil people. Make many enemy. Now ISIS. Historic tragedy.

Cheney is dinosaur. Think guns guns guns. Think kill evil people and problem disappear. Historic tragedy.

ISIS is primitive. You fight ISIS you become primitive. Law of nature. Historic tragedy.

On and on.

The initial response to Al-Qaeda and the Taliban was well-executed and pretty successful. I'm no fan of Bush and Cheney, but they got that right. The great blunder/overreach was Iraq. Hussein and his government were horrible, but our involvement there was folly and we're still paying the price.

Reactions: Bill4411
Many complications.

Succession is big problem in all history. U.S. has new succession in 4 or 8 years. Maybe good, some time bad. In succession Clinton say watch bin Laden. Bush is naive simpleton. Fake cowboy. Bad succession = historic tragedy.

U.S. is Christian. Christianity assumption is all people evil. Justification for kill evil people. Make many enemy. Now ISIS. Historic tragedy.

Cheney is dinosaur. Think guns guns guns. Think kill evil people and problem disappear. Historic tragedy.

ISIS is primitive. You fight ISIS you become primitive. Law of nature. Historic tragedy.

On and on.

I only disagree about the US being Christian. I agree that Christianity is the majority religion here, but nothing in our constitution mentions Christianity or "Christian values". The only mention of religion is the freedom to worship how you see fit including to not worship at all. In fact, the constitution doesn't deal with anything regarding morality. The constitution also allows for atheists to take the oath of office.

From Frontline:

Ol' Dick is thinking "Did it really just get that much easier to sell the invasion of Iraq?"

I only disagree about the US being Christian. I agree that Christianity is the majority religion here, but nothing in our constitution mentions Christianity or "Christian values". The only mention of religion is the freedom to worship how you see fit including to not worship at all. In fact, the constitution doesn't deal with anything regarding morality. The constitution also allows for atheists to take the oath of office.
Yes. I mean (U.S.) people Christian. Bush Christian. Christian values. Christian = man is evil. If someone evil, I can kill him. Justification. Islam say if someone infidel, I can kill him.

Stupid bullshit.

More about succession. U.S. president not trained for job. Just win vote. Maybe he good with job, maybe not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT