ADVERTISEMENT

A name change, perhaps, might be in order?

Ladoga

All-Big Ten
Oct 25, 2009
Hillary to Speak at Event Named After Slave Owners

8:04 AM, Jun 25, 2015 • By DANIEL HALPER

Hillary Clinton is scheduled to speak at the Virginia Democratic party's Jefferson-Jackson Dinner on Friday in northern Virgnia. The event is from 2-6 p.m. in Fairfax.

As an announcement on Clinton's website reads:

Hillary Clinton is coming to speak at the Democratic Party of Virginia's Jefferson-Jackson Event! We are taking this opportunity to talk to the hundreds of people who will attend and sign them up as Hillary supporters. Many volunteers will be needed, primarily before the event; you can volunteer AND see Hillary!

Just as the name suggests, the dinner is named for Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson. Both former presidents of the United States. And both former slave owners.

Regarding Jefferson, CBS has explained that "The author of the Declaration of Independence, who wrote that all men are created equal, owned 600 slaves over his lifetime, and in addition to his legitimate children almost certainly fathered at least six children borne by his slave, Sally Hemings."

Jackson, known affectionately as the people's president, owned about a quarter of the number of slaves as Jefferson. As thehermitage.com reports, "In all reality, slavery was the source of Andrew Jackson’s wealth.

The Hermitage was a 1,000 acre, self-sustaining plantation that relied completely on the labor of enslaved African American men, women, and children. They performed the hard labor that produced The Hermitage’s cash crop, cotton. The more land Andrew Jackson accrued, the more slaves he procured to work it. Thus, the Jackson family’s survival was made possible by the profit garnered from the crops worked by the enslaved on a daily basis.

When Andrew Jackson bought The Hermitage in 1804, he owned nine enslaved African Americans. Just 25 years later that number had swelled to over 100 through purchase and reproduction. At the time of his death in 1845, Jackson owned approximately 150 people who lived and worked on the property.

While Democrats traditionally speak at Jefferson-Jackson dinners, Republicans speak at a dinner named after the president who freed the slaves, Abraham Lincoln.

Hillary Clinton is scheduled to speak at the Virginia Democratic party's Jefferson-Jackson Dinner on Friday in northern Virgnia. The event is from 2-6 p.m. in Fairfax.

Hillary Clinton is coming to speak at the Democratic Party of Virginia's Jefferson-Jackson Event! We are taking this opportunity to talk to the hundreds of people who will attend and sign them up as Hillary supporters. Many volunteers will be needed, primarily before the event; you can volunteer AND see Hillary!

Just as the name suggests, the dinner is named for Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson. Both former presidents of the United States. And both former slave owners.

Regarding Jefferson, CBS has explained that "The author of the Declaration of Independence, who wrote that all men are created equal, owned 600 slaves over his lifetime, and in addition to his legitimate children almost certainly fathered at least six children borne by his slave, Sally Hemings."

Jackson, known affectionately as the people's president, owned about a quarter of the number of slaves as Jefferson. As thehermitage.com reports, "In all reality, slavery was the source of Andrew Jackson’s wealth.

The Hermitage was a 1,000 acre, self-sustaining plantation that relied completely on the labor of enslaved African American men, women, and children. They performed the hard labor that produced The Hermitage’s cash crop, cotton. The more land Andrew Jackson accrued, the more slaves he procured to work it. Thus, the Jackson family’s survival was made possible by the profit garnered from the crops worked by the enslaved on a daily basis.

When Andrew Jackson bought The Hermitage in 1804, he owned nine enslaved African Americans. Just 25 years later that number had swelled to over 100 through purchase and reproduction. At the time of his death in 1845, Jackson owned approximately 150 people who lived and worked on the property.

While Democrats traditionally speak at Jefferson-Jackson dinners, Republicans speak at a dinner named after the president who freed the slaves, Abraham Lincoln.

Jackson was much worse than a slave owner

He was simply a bigot who used his best efforts to exterminate native Americans. The Democrats have a sad history indeed. Not only do they honor a guy like Jackson, but they count among the best presidents the Democrat president who committed the single worst human rights atrocity in the history of the Republic.

As an aside, I don't understand the move to take Hamilton off of our currency instead of Jackson.

Last edited:

Thomas Jefferson got the ball rolling to end slavery. He tried to ban it in all new territories (losing by a single vote), signed into law banning international slave trade and Virginia was the first state to stop slave trafficking. He also supported programs to transition freed slaves to get them skills. However he did have hundreds of slaves so there's a hypocrisy there. I believe he recognized he didn't have the power to just end it altogether so probably didn't pursue it to that level.

Jackson was much worse than a slave owner

He was simply a bigot who used his best efforts to exterminate native Americans. The Democrats have a sad history indeed. Not only do they honor a guy like Jackson, but they count among the best presidents the Democrat president who committed the single worst human rights atrocity in the history of the Republic.

As an aside, I don't understand the move to take Hamilton off of our currency instead of Jackson.
I agree with pretty much all of that. I particularly detest Andrew Jackson, who absolutely should be replaced on our currency by pretty much anybody.

If I'd been alive during the period of the Democratic Party's unambiguously racist past, I'd like to think I'd have been a Republican. But since I'm alive today, I'm happy to say that I'm Democrat.

I agree with pretty much all of that. I particularly detest Andrew Jackson, who absolutely should be replaced on our currency by pretty much anybody.

If I'd been alive during the period of the Democratic Party's unambiguously racist past, I'd like to think I'd have been a Republican. But since I'm alive today, I'm happy to say that I'm Democrat.
I do not know your age, but if you 50 or older, you were alive during the Democratic Party's unambiguously racist past. The racist occupation of the south by the Democratic party - and some places in the north as well, ended only when Republicans won those Governorships and legislative bodies, Senate and House seats. All that happened during your life and until this moment not a peep of protest has escaped your fingertips. Not until it became politically expedient for you. But you're still stuck with being you. And with a party that is racist to the core - privately.

I do not know your age, but if you 50 or older, you were alive during the Democratic Party's unambiguously racist past. The racist occupation of the south by the Democratic party - and some places in the north as well, ended only when Republicans won those Governorships and legislative bodies, Senate and House seats. All that happened during your life and until this moment not a peep of protest has escaped your fingertips. Not until it became politically expedient for you. But you're still stuck with being you. And with a party that is racist to the core - privately.
You're a bitter old man with nothing to say, sneering for the sake of sneering.

He might be 50 and he might have been alive when the democrats were the racist party, but by the time he could register the republicans had well taken over as the racists.

There is none so blind....so you want Democrats to be embarrassed about racists from hundreds of years ago, while you refuse to recognize what the far right wing of your party has become?

There is none so blind....so you want Democrats to be embarrassed about racists from hundreds of years ago, while you refuse to recognize what the far right wing of your party has become?

Grin, Politics would be nothing if it wasn't incoherent

POTUS thought it appropriate to criticize Christians for the Crusades of a 1000 years ago as somehow relevant to the atrocities and terror committed in the name of Islam as I write this, but the Democratic racism in our lifetimes is stupid. OK, Zeke, I get it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT