ADVERTISEMENT

"A 'less crunchy' way to get body parts."

It means if you don't want a child, act responsibly. Cmon goat, you know what it means.

It's Friday and I'm about to unplug for the weekend. I don't really want to rehash moral opinions that we've both already stated quite clearly in this thread. My point in the previous post was that I agree with the funding for birth control. Education about the subject goes a long way in helping this issue.
No, I don't know what it means. Is abortion wrong or not? Whatever your answer, what does responsibility have to do with it? Is the abortion of a fetus that results from a broken condom less of a sin than the abortion of a fetus that results from unprotected sex? Is the abortion of a fetus that results from rape even less of a sin? How in the world does the level of responsibility held by the woman for her own pregnancy weigh at all on whether or not an abortion is morally wrong?

For those who think PP is just about abortions are either selecting what they want to hear, or have no clue whatsoever. Ask the residents of Scott county. They just went through the worst HIV outbreak in the history of the state. The PP office was closed a couple years ago, and with that went the free STD training.

Also, they provide birth control, both internal and external, to all sorts of women who choose to make a decision on when they would like to have a child. Side note---I've never understood the argument against birth control. That is one of the dumbest fights there is. One, just because a woman (or couple) want to choose when they would like to have a child, that doesn't make the woman a slut as Rush would state, that makes someone responsible.

Last, and most important, abortion should not be used as birth control. There are times where it is necessary.

Whichever side of the fence you are on, PP funding should not be cut. Especially in response to heavily edited videos and idiots on tv/radio/internet.

PS, isn't IU supposed to be the liberal one?
Who's arguing against birth control? Even Catholic politicians that don't believe in using birth control aren't pushing for laws to prevent others from using birth control. Far as I know, no one is trying to legally ban birth control. There's certainly no fight about it, dumb or otherwise. What are you talking about?

No, I don't know what it means. Is abortion wrong or not? Whatever your answer, what does responsibility have to do with it? Is the abortion of a fetus that results from a broken condom less of a sin than the abortion of a fetus that results from unprotected sex? Is the abortion of a fetus that results from rape even less of a sin? How in the world does the level of responsibility held by the woman for her own pregnancy weigh at all on whether or not an abortion is morally wrong?

Because the choices we make have outcomes. If I choose to engage in sexual activity(and am not shooting blanks), I could have a child. If I ride a motorcycle without a helmet(or, at all) I could be killed. If I get into my car after drinking, I could end up living a nightmare. I know you aren't so dense that you don't understand responsibility. You've asked those series of questions because you don't believe abortion is wrong. And that's ok; it's your opinion.

Because the choices we make have outcomes. If I choose to engage in sexual activity(and am not shooting blanks), I could have a child. If I ride a motorcycle without a helmet(or, at all) I could be killed. If I get into my car after drinking, I could end up living a nightmare. I know you aren't so dense that you don't understand responsibility. You've asked those series of questions because you don't believe abortion is wrong. And that's ok; it's your opinion.
No, I asked this series of questions because I don't buy the connection. If responsibility is the only issue, surely you must admit that getting an abortion is the responsible thing to do in many cases.
If abortion is murder, then nothing else is relevant. Responsibility doesn't matter. Rape, incest. Irrelevant. If it's murder, it's murder. Period.

No, it's not. It's illegal to sell fetal tissue for profit. It's not illegal to donate it, and it's not illegal to charge nominal fees to help recoup costs. (42 USC 289g-2)
First, it was not being donated. Second, how do we know what profit was made or not made without a full investigation? Third, the lady is a douchebag. Her nonchalant, joking way she discussed it was pathetic.

First, it was not being donated. Second, how do we know what profit was made or not made without a full investigation? Third, the lady is a douchebag. Her nonchalant, joking way she discussed it was pathetic.
First, yes, it was being donated.
Second, we know because multiple people have said that the "prices" talked about were standard, and because the women in the videos actually made it clear that it was based on cost.
Third, that's legally irrelevant. If being a douchebag were illegal, our prisons would be even fuller than they are now.

Just a side note. My son and daughter-in-law had an ultrasound done at 6 weeks and guess what you can hear? The heartbeat.

Reactions: mike41703
First, yes, it was being donated.
Second, we know because multiple people have said that the "prices" talked about were standard, and because the women in the videos actually made it clear that it was based on cost.
Third, that's legally irrelevant. If being a douchebag were illegal, our prisons would be even fuller than they are now.
According to Webster-
Full Definition of DONATION
: the act or an instance of donating: as

a : the making of a gift especially to a charity or public institution

b : a free contribution : gift (Hence the word free.)

According to Webster-
Full Definition of DONATION
: the act or an instance of donating: as

a : the making of a gift especially to a charity or public institution

b : a free contribution : gift (Hence the word free.)
The US Code I already cited above, at (e)(3):
"The term “valuable consideration” does not include reasonable payments associated with the transportation, implantation, processing, preservation, quality control, or storage of human fetal tissue."

They don't make a "handsome profit." They donate it and are reimbursed for expenses.

You didn't actually take those videos at face value, did you? You know how those kinds of things are edited.
C'mon Goat. Now that is taking liberty to say it is edited. There is no proof of that.

C'mon Goat. Now that is taking liberty to say it is edited. There is no proof of that.
What? Of course it's edited. They don't even hide that fact. It's a shortened version of a two-hour conversation. And there's a lot more coming. PP officials told Congress this group might have hundreds of hours of tape. They'll probably keep editing a releasing them for a year.

What? Of course it's edited. They don't even hide that fact. It's a shortened version of a two-hour conversation. And there's a lot more coming. PP officials told Congress this group might have hundreds of hours of tape. They'll probably keep editing a releasing them for a year.
I meant you are taking the liberty to assume it is edited to change what she was saying. From what I understand, they are going to release all of the tapes to show they were not altered to change what was said.

I meant you are taking the liberty to assume it is edited to change what she was saying. From what I understand, they are going to release all of the tapes to show they were not altered to change what was said.
Well, the one they released last week came with the full version, and it was clearly deceptive. So why give them the benefit of the doubt on this one?

No, I asked this series of questions because I don't buy the connection. If responsibility is the only issue, surely you must admit that getting an abortion is the responsible thing to do in many cases.
If abortion is murder, then nothing else is relevant. Responsibility doesn't matter. Rape, incest. Irrelevant. If it's murder, it's murder. Period.

I'm referring to the irresponsibility of abortion being used as a form of birth control. You then inject the rape, incest into it...........again.

I'm referring to the irresponsibility of abortion being used as a form of birth control. You then inject the rape, incest into it...........again.
So then you don't think abortion itself is immoral, you just think using it irresponsibly is immoral?

In that case, I repeat: surely you must agree that for many women, getting an abortion is the responsible choice.

So then you don't think abortion itself is immoral, you just think using it irresponsibly is immoral?

In that case, I repeat: surely you must agree that for many women, getting an abortion is the responsible choice.

Wrong. I recognize that law says it's perfectly ok. Therefore to minimize the innocent from being murdered I call for a little bit of responsibility from society. I know it's a tall frickin order.

Reactions: stollcpa
Third, the lady is a douchebag. Her nonchalant, joking way she discussed it was pathetic.
No, you're ignorant:

Hearing medical professionals talk casually about products of conception may seem distasteful to some, but not to doctors. Medical procedures are gory by nature. Surgeons routinely cut skin, saw bones, and lift the uterus out of the abdominal cavity and then put it back in. We stick our hands inside people and it is messy. We handle broken limbs, rotting flesh, and cancers that smell. We talk about this calmly because this is what we are trained to do. It doesn’t mean that we are heartless; it means we are professionals and this is our norm for a clinical conversation. There is no reason a conversation about products of conception requires more or less reverence than one about a kidney or a biopsy specimen.​

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Who's arguing against birth control? Even Catholic politicians that don't believe in using birth control aren't pushing for laws to prevent others from using birth control. Far as I know, no one is trying to legally ban birth control. There's certainly no fight about it, dumb or otherwise. What are you talking about?

I was referring to organizations who do not want to provide birth control as part of their health coverage. I was not referring to anyone in this thread.

Wrong. I recognize that law says it's perfectly ok. Therefore to minimize the innocent from being murdered I call for a little bit of responsibility from society. I know it's a tall frickin order.
We're having trouble communicating. You keep swinging back and forth on my to avoid my point. Let me state it clearly.

If abortion is the moral equivalent of child murder, then it doesn't matter what level of irresponsibility was displayed by the woman in getting pregnant. Murder is murder. The argument that abortion "shouldn't be a form of birth control" is incoherent, because the real problem isn't how abortion is used, it's the fact that it's used at all. If abortion is murder, then it is always murder. Probably the only circumstance that would morally justify such a murder would be if it were medically necessary to prevent death or serious bodily harm to the pregnant woman.

We're having trouble communicating. You keep swinging back and forth on my to avoid my point. Let me state it clearly.

If abortion is the moral equivalent of child murder, then it doesn't matter what level of irresponsibility was displayed by the woman in getting pregnant. Murder is murder. The argument that abortion "shouldn't be a form of birth control" is incoherent, because the real problem isn't how abortion is used, it's the fact that it's used at all. If abortion is murder, then it is always murder. Probably the only circumstance that would morally justify such a murder would be if it were medically necessary to prevent death or serious bodily harm to the pregnant woman.

I don't disagree on the communication part. The original post you replied to me on was about my reiteration of another poster's phrase that abortion shouldn't be used as birth control. I agreed.

The reason it's not an incoherent argument is because abortion is here to stay. Why wouldn't I want as few lives ended as possible? It's a call on human beings to not be idiots.

It's not condoning abortion in certain settings. I'm calling out the individuals that have had 6....7 abortions. At that point, you are using it as a form of birth control.

I don't disagree on the communication part. The original post you replied to me on was about my reiteration of another poster's phrase that abortion shouldn't be used as birth control. I agreed.

The reason it's not an incoherent argument is because abortion is here to stay. Why wouldn't I want as few lives ended as possible? It's a call on human beings to not be idiots.

It's not condoning abortion in certain settings. I'm calling out the individuals that have had 6....7 abortions. At that point, you are using it as a form of birth control.
Okay, I'll buy that. Since you know abortion is going to be legal, you want to at least minimize it. (Actually, isn't that the Democratic party platform?)

But I have to wonder, how many women do you really think have 6 or 7 abortions in their life? More than half of all abortions each year are by women who have never had one. over 90% are by women who have had no more than two.

Okay, I'll buy that. Since you know abortion is going to be legal, you want to at least minimize it. (Actually, isn't that the Democratic party platform?)

But I have to wonder, how many women do you really think have 6 or 7 abortions in their life? More than half of all abortions each year are by women who have never had one. over 90% are by women who have had no more than two.

I know of one so I'm sure there are plenty out there.

To your first paragraph, it's not quite my stance but you are beginning to grasp some of it. The exception being the Democratic Party has no intention of getting rid of it.

I know of one so I'm sure there are plenty out there.

To your first paragraph, it's not quite my stance but you are beginning to grasp some of it. The exception being the Democratic Party has no intention of getting rid of it.
Let me stop trying to get at your stance, and explain why I'm harping on these issues.

I think just about everyone is incoherent on abortion. To me, there are only three coherent stances one can take on abortion:

1. They are immoral by their very nature, and should never happen, except in the rare case they are medically necessary to prevent death or severe bodily harm to the woman.
2. They are never immoral, and should be available to a woman at any time for any reason.
3. They are not immoral at conception, but sometime during the development of the fetus become immoral. Therefore, abortions should be legal and available for any reason during the first X weeks of a pregnancy, but completely banned after this point, except when medically necessary to prevent death or severe bodily harm to the woman.

Instead, we mix and match these views in an incoherent fashion. I've already mentioned before how I hate laws which define feticide as murder. How can it be murder for a third party to kill a fetus, if it's not also at least some level of criminal homicide for a pregnant woman to do the same? I also think rape and incest exceptions are ridiculous. If a late-term abortion is immoral because the fetus is fully developed, then it's still going to be immoral if it turns out the woman was raped. Richard Mourdock was roundly criticized for his comments in 2012, and rightfully so, as his words could clearly have been understood to imply that God intended for rape to happen, but his actual stance on abortion is one of the few I've heard that is entirely logical. He thinks the fetus gains a right to life at conception, and therefore the only exception he can accept is to save the life of the mother. That's an honest pro-life stance, right there.

Let me stop trying to get at your stance, and explain why I'm harping on these issues.

I think just about everyone is incoherent on abortion. To me, there are only three coherent stances one can take on abortion:

1. They are immoral by their very nature, and should never happen, except in the rare case they are medically necessary to prevent death or severe bodily harm to the woman.
2. They are never immoral, and should be available to a woman at any time for any reason.
3. They are not immoral at conception, but sometime during the development of the fetus become immoral. Therefore, abortions should be legal and available for any reason during the first X weeks of a pregnancy, but completely banned after this point, except when medically necessary to prevent death or severe bodily harm to the woman.

Instead, we mix and match these views in an incoherent fashion. I've already mentioned before how I hate laws which define feticide as murder. How can it be murder for a third party to kill a fetus, if it's not also at least some level of criminal homicide for a pregnant woman to do the same? I also think rape and incest exceptions are ridiculous. If a late-term abortion is immoral because the fetus is fully developed, then it's still going to be immoral if it turns out the woman was raped. Richard Mourdock was roundly criticized for his comments in 2012, and rightfully so, as his words could clearly have been understood to imply that God intended for rape to happen, but his actual stance on abortion is one of the few I've heard that is entirely logical. He thinks the fetus gains a right to life at conception, and therefore the only exception he can accept is to save the life of the mother. That's an honest pro-life stance, right there.

I'm #1.

Mine is a 4th

We have a good old fashioned moral dilemma.

1. There is absolutely no doubt that life begins at conception. It's not a partial life, It is not kinda life. It isn't potential life. It is life. Anybody who denies this are only rationalizing a position on abortion.

2. Any person is in control of their own body. This includes what goes in it, what is done with it, and what comes out of it. (I'm tempted here to take a whack at government health care, but I'll resist that temptation;))

Since you ALWAYS know what I am thinking notwithstanding what I write, you'll know that given the above moral dilemma, I will fall towards #2. Both alternatives can be seen as immoral, thus the dilemma. There is a point where #1 will take priority. I struggle with that one, a lot. But that isn't what PP selling fetal organs is about. FWIW, the most disgusting thing I heard on that tape was the doctor talking about a "17 weeker" as if it were a stool sample. That was not the result of editing. That shows the utter callousness of the PP officials.

Hands-Up-Dont-Crush-copy.jpg

I could tell. That's why I was trying to get you off the "responsibility" argument. I had this same conversation with my sister, who is also a clear #1. She tried to convince me that she just wanted women to take responsibility for their actions, and I explained to her that, if a woman can't afford to support a child, and that child is going to be on welfare, then getting an abortion is taking responsibility, and the only real objection she could have would be if she simply thought abortion was wrong, which she then admitted she did.

FWIW, I'm not sure where I am on the list. I don't think I'm a #1, but I'm sure I'm not a #2. #3 seems most likely. I lean toward recognizing that a morning after pill and a late-term abortion are not morally equivalent.

Mine is a 4th

We have a good old fashioned moral dilemma.

1. There is absolutely no doubt that life begins at conception. It's not a partial life, It is not kinda life. It isn't potential life. It is life. Anybody who denies this are only rationalizing a position on abortion.

2. Any person is in control of their own body. This includes what goes in it, what is done with it, and what comes out of it. (I'm tempted here to take a whack at government health care, but I'll resist that temptation;))

Since you ALWAYS know what I am thinking notwithstanding what I write, you'll know that given the above moral dilemma, I will fall towards #2. Both alternatives can be seen as immoral, thus the dilemma. There is a point where #1 will take priority. I struggle with that one, a lot. But that isn't what PP selling fetal organs is about. FWIW, the most disgusting thing I heard on that tape was the doctor talking about a "17 weeker" as if it were a stool sample. That was not the result of editing. That shows the utter callousness of the PP officials.

Hands-Up-Dont-Crush-copy.jpg
That's a good take on the moral dilemma. I already knew your opinion, though. Not because I can read your mind, but because you've told me before.

That's why I think I'm probably a #3 on the list I provided (and I don't think you're 4th take is actually a 4th one at all, but just a more nuanced and fleshed-out version of #3). At conception, I also lean toward favoring the right of the woman to control her body, although I'm still not comfortable with it. At some point during the fetus' development, if the woman hasn't already aborted it, I think she's abdicated that right.

I have no way of knowing when that point is, so I'd err on restricting abortions to only the first 12 weeks whenever humanly possible, if not earlier. One reason why it's important to make sure women have adequate access.

As for the doctor's language, I'm reminded of the famous NYPD episode where the cops are overheard joking about a murder by the victim's family. Their jokes were simply a way of remaining emotionally distant so they could perform their jobs professionally.

She's a doctor, so she's talking like a doctor.

That's a good take on the moral dilemma. I already knew your opinion, though. Not because I can read your mind, but because you've told me before.

That's why I think I'm probably a #3 on the list I provided (and I don't think you're 4th take is actually a 4th one at all, but just a more nuanced and fleshed-out version of #3). At conception, I also lean toward favoring the right of the woman to control her body, although I'm still not comfortable with it. At some point during the fetus' development, if the woman hasn't already aborted it, I think she's abdicated that right.

I have no way of knowing when that point is, so I'd err on restricting abortions to only the first 12 weeks whenever humanly possible, if not earlier. One reason why it's important to make sure women have adequate access.

As for the doctor's language, I'm reminded of the famous NYPD episode where the cops are overheard joking about a murder by the victim's family. Their jokes were simply a way of remaining emotionally distant so they could perform their jobs professionally.

She's a doctor, so she's talking like a doctor.

She's talking like an emotionally scarred doctor.

Can you see her providing pre-natal care and after the ultra-sound saying to the mother your tissue is a girl and the tissue is doing fine? Most doctors call "17 weekers" babies. In the video she could have said the same things without the reference to the "17 weaker". She both personalized and objectified the fetus. She has crossed the rubicon and has lost a part of her humanity.

She's talking like an emotionally scarred doctor.

Can you see her providing pre-natal care and after the ultra-sound saying to the mother your tissue is a girl and the tissue is doing fine? Most doctors call "17 weekers" babies. In the video she could have said the same things without the reference to the "17 weaker". She both personalized and objectified the fetus. She has crossed the rubicon and has lost a part of her humanity.
I don't buy it. I think she's just a doctor talking like a doctor to other doctors. I'm sure that's not her bedside demeanor.

I could tell. That's why I was trying to get you off the "responsibility" argument. I had this same conversation with my sister, who is also a clear #1. She tried to convince me that she just wanted women to take responsibility for their actions, and I explained to her that, if a woman can't afford to support a child, and that child is going to be on welfare, then getting an abortion is taking responsibility, and the only real objection she could have would be if she simply thought abortion was wrong, which she then admitted she did.

FWIW, I'm not sure where I am on the list. I don't think I'm a #1, but I'm sure I'm not a #2. #3 seems most likely. I lean toward recognizing that a morning after pill and a late-term abortion are not morally equivalent.

Good post. My only other input would be adoption

I don't buy it. I think she's just a doctor talking like a doctor to other doctors. I'm sure that's not her bedside demeanor.

I know all about how doctors talk

In the OR some surgeons talk like their paralyzed and unconscious patients are a side of beef and others look at them like human beings. They all don't all talk like this doctor talks.

I know all about how doctors talk

In the OR some surgeons talk like their paralyzed and unconscious patients are a side of beef and others look at them like human beings. They all don't all talk like this doctor talks.
Whatever you say, but your criticism sounds to me essentially to be on the grounds that this abortion doctor doesn't talk like a pro-life activist. I'd call that weak sauce.

Whatever you say, but your criticism sounds to me essentially to be on the grounds that this abortion doctor doesn't talk like a pro-life activist. I'd call that weak sauce.

Actually

she talks like an abortion advocate who probably does very late term abortions with no pangs of conscious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT