ADVERTISEMENT

A better way to honor the dead lion

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
Having read the thread below about Cecil the lion, I think I should bring the board's attention how to channel your disgust for a productive purpose. Killing Cecil indefensible. I've read a lot on the internet about this lion and its death. Even more despicable than his death though, is all the posts from mostly self-righteous whack-job pricks, specifically including some professional bloggers and pundits, who do nothing for animals except try to outdo one another with their vile crap directed at this dentist. His life, and the lives of his family, is ruined. That is what they wanted.

There is an immensely better way to honor Cecil. The world's largest carnivore sanctuary is located on the high plains of Colorado. The Wild Animal Sanctuary houses, feeds, cures, and nurtures hundreds of rescued carnivores, including big cats. The expense for food and veterinary care is enormous. You can help. Click the link, look at the "sanctuary" tab and then the read the rescue stories of just the lions. Click the "donate" button and make a commitment to help the animals. Tell the Sanctuary you were motivated to do this by Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe. Maybe you feel good by calling the dentist names. I guarantee you helping feed the rescued lions will make you feel much better. Tell your friends.

Mostly personal. I don't see it on the web page, but the Sanctuary has a program where you could "adopt" a particular animal and help feed it. I did that for our grandkids. They adopted a black leopard. We pay monthly for her "upkeep". Maybe you have youngsters who would like to participate like this.

Reactions: NPT and DougS
That is the best post on this topic that I have seen since the who,e thing blew up. By way of honoring your request I will not go on a rant about some of the stuff I have been reading.

Caveat emptor.

Incidentally, anyone who goes on a safari or otherwise kills for pleasure is THE "whack-job prick." Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints. You don't know what those bloggers do for animals. Maybe they refuse to use pesticides on their lawns. That's something, for example. Maybe they donate to any number of animal welfare programs without even expecting anything in return other than the well-being of the planet they live on.

And maybe they aren't on a fantasy apology trip about global warming like some of us here.

Reactions: mjvcaj
Caveat emptor.

Incidentally, anyone who goes on a safari or otherwise kills for pleasure is THE "whack-job prick." Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints. You don't know what those bloggers do for animals. Maybe they refuse to use pesticides on their lawns. That's something, for example. Maybe they donate to any number of animal welfare programs without even expecting anything in return other than the well-being of the planet they live on.

And maybe they aren't on a fantasy apology trip about global warming like some of us here.

I know what they say about this

And they seemingly take way too much delight in piling on. Of course I don't know what good they do for animals. All I know is that I am not one bit impressed with their responses to thie dentist's conduct and the way they choose to honor Cecil. There is a chance to do some good here and they are not taking it.

Having read the thread below about Cecil the lion, I think I should bring the board's attention how to channel your disgust for a productive purpose. Killing Cecil indefensible. I've read a lot on the internet about this lion and its death. Even more despicable than his death though, is all the posts from mostly self-righteous whack-job pricks, specifically including some professional bloggers and pundits, who do nothing for animals except try to outdo one another with their vile crap directed at this dentist. His life, and the lives of his family, is ruined. That is what they wanted.

There is an immensely better way to honor Cecil. The world's largest carnivore sanctuary is located on the high plains of Colorado. The Wild Animal Sanctuary houses, feeds, cures, and nurtures hundreds of rescued carnivores, including big cats. The expense for food and veterinary care is enormous. You can help. Click the link, look at the "sanctuary" tab and then the read the rescue stories of just the lions. Click the "donate" button and make a commitment to help the animals. Tell the Sanctuary you were motivated to do this by Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe. Maybe you feel good by calling the dentist names. I guarantee you helping feed the rescued lions will make you feel much better. Tell your friends.

Mostly personal. I don't see it on the web page, but the Sanctuary has a program where you could "adopt" a particular animal and help feed it. I did that for our grandkids. They adopted a black leopard. We pay monthly for her "upkeep". Maybe you have youngsters who would like to participate like this.
Not sure I agree with that.

Are you assuming that the pundits bashing the stupid dentist are doing nothing philanthropic? Perhaps they've maxed out their charitable giving. Perhaps you're asking them to divert giving to one organization in favor of the Wild Animal Sanctuary. Maybe they shouldn't have to do that when the primary cause is a singular dentist who's mucking up the works. Perhaps bringing attention to stupidity does more for the animals than sending more money that might just be used to fend off additional stupid dentists. Do the pundits have an obligation to fund all opposition to oppression in the world and until they do they should just shut up already?

People going overboard is a problem, of course. But the answer to that is to discourage the specific problem (i.e., going overboard) and perhaps not to impugn the outrage or to dismiss what some might find to be truly productive.

Are you assuming that the pundits bashing the stupid dentist are doing nothing philanthropic? Perhaps they've maxed out their charitable giving. Perhaps you're asking them to divert giving to one organization in favor of the Wild Animal Sanctuary. Maybe they shouldn't have to do that when the primary cause is a singular dentist who's mucking up the works. Perhaps bringing attention to stupidity does more for the animals than sending more money that might just be used to fend off additional stupid dentists. Do the pundits have an obligation to fund all opposition to oppression in the world and until they do they should just shut up already?

People going overboard is a problem, of course. But the answer to that is to discourage the specific problem (i.e., going overboard) and perhaps not to impugn the outrage or to dismiss what some might find to be truly productive.

All the negative attention might keep another dumbass from doing it to another animal later.

Reactions: FremontFlash
All the negative attention might keep another dumbass from doing it to another animal later.

We aren't talking about mutually exclusive ideas here

The high profile pundits can bring attention to the poaching problem while benefitting mistreated animals.

I don't understand your point

It sounds like you are trying to defend a huge void in the Cecil coverage and commentary. I have no clue about what charities the pundits and commentators support. The point isn't that THEY contribute. The point is to use Cecil's senseless death as a means to help the animals--not simply to vent and rant. There are dumb ass poachers all over the world. There are two famous examples in Colorado. One incident even had a law named after the poached creature. There are thousands of abused big game and captive animals everywhere. My first thought when I read the post about Cecil was about the lions that run free in Colorado because of the generosity of millions of people and the dedication of a few. Helping those lions in the name of Cecil seems like a natural to me. A plea to help the abused and captive animals should be part of publicity about Cecil.

I know what they say about this

And they seemingly take way too much delight in piling on. Of course I don't know what good they do for animals. All I know is that I am not one bit impressed with their responses to thie dentist's conduct and the way they choose to honor Cecil. There is a chance to do some good here and they are not taking it.

Even better would be to rid the world of this scumbag. He's been caught illegally hunting 3 times (lord knows how many times he got away with it), sexually harassed women and has zero respect for the sport of hunting itself. Killing a predator that doesn't flee is hardly an impressive feat, unless you are a fat dentist trying to compensate for a little package.

I am in favor of donating for hungry animals to get fed... let's just feed them this fat douchebag to start.

Last edited:
Reactions: scribe56 and IUJay1

Notice how nobody cares about the many many animals Cecil killed in his continual lust for blood. I bet many animals jumped for joy when he went down.

http://wthitv.com/2015/07/14/vincennes-man-rehabilitates-injured-wildlife/
Angel is a friend of my parents' from church. I have never heard of him asking for donations, but he wouldn't turn away help to build new facilities and offset the costs for caring for the animals. The DNR and other agencies bring injured animals and exotic animals taken from people that are illegally keeping them or abusing them. He has all the necessary permits to run his facility. He has had big cats and treats a lot of owls, eagles and deer.

I would like Angel to teach that dentist about how to care for animals and how to be a responsible hunter. I am quite sure Angel could get through to him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT