ADVERTISEMENT

2015 W-L Predictions

NatiHoosier

Freshman
Aug 1, 2014
In a perfect world (one where Sudfeld doesn't get hurt, and our defense plays to its max ability) what do you see as a realistic W-L record for our 2015 Hoosiers?

In a perfect world (one where Sudfeld doesn't get hurt, and our defense plays to its max ability) what do you see as a realistic W-L record for our 2015 Hoosiers?
In a perfect world we have a slim chance at 8 wins, but we don't live in a perfect world and this is IU football where everything that can go wrong, WILL go wrong. We have enough for 6 wins I think barring catastrophic injuries again. 7 wins is also doable, but I'd say it's less than a 25% chance of happening. I'm going with 6 and 6 and it'll take a win over the Boilies to get that 6th win and bowl bid.

That's a tough request. "In a perfect world" combined with "realistic?" LOL. I'd hazard a guess that, even if we do everything right, we lose to OSU and MSU. Between UM, PSU, Iowa and Maryland, we lose two more, even if we play to potential. Add one more random bad luck loss (probably Rutgers). I'd say 7-5 overall.

Reactions: Oxford Collapse
12-0.

Sep. 5 Southern Illinois
Storyline - Nate Sudfeld returns in a big way, throwing for over 400 yards. 1-0

Sep. 12 Florida Int'l
Storyline - IU run game rears it head. 2-0.

Sep. 19 Western Kentucky
Storyline - Shootout. Both teams get 600+ yards. IU wins with a 00:03 FG. 3-0.

Sep. 26 at Wake Forest
Storyline - Brian Knorr's defense shuts down WF and makes folks ask "why did we let him get away. 4-0.

Oct. 3 Ohio State
Controversy over QB's leave Ahia State ragged. IU with the upset. Sudfeld with 250 and the IU RB stable gets 300. 5-0.
I am having "goal post sex" in the NEZ. Dan Dakich is caught and run up the IU Victory Flag Pole, hoist by his Buckeye underwear.

Oct. 10 at Penn State
Penn State forgets that Sudfeld was not playing last year. IU shocks PSU at home with a solid win. 6-0.

Oct. 17 Rutgers
IU crushes Rutgers and Rose Bowl talk begins 7-0.

Oct. 24 at Michigan State
For the whole enchilada. MSU arrogance costs them. IU in a slug fest. A late INT gives IU the win. 8-0.

Nov. 7 Iowa
Iowa limps into town. Rumors about a coaching change. IU wins big. Iowa fires Ferentz. 9-0.

Nov. 14 Michigan
Harbaugh's first year is a dud. IU wins by 2 TD's. 10-0.

Nov. 21 at Maryland
IU's first trip to Maryland. No smiles. All business. IU wins it on the ground. 11-0.

Nov. 28 at Purdue
POTFB. IU gets another coach fired. Purdue children ask their daddies "will I ever get to touch the Bucket"?
Bowls are fighting over IU - the biggest story in the sport.

I'm sticking with the 3-9 season I predicted months ago. I see us limping into BIG conference play at 2-2 and we'll pick up 1 win from there on out.
I've not seen anything from the staff to suggest that they will pull out close games. There are way too many examples of this squad bumbling their way to a loss in games where they have a chance. Unless the defense improves by leaps and bounds, it's going to be a loooooong season.

I'm sticking with the 3-9 season I predicted months ago. I see us limping into BIG conference play at 2-2 and we'll pick up 1 win from there on out.
I've not seen anything from the staff to suggest that they will pull out close games. There are way too many examples of this squad bumbling their way to a loss in games where they have a chance. Unless the defense improves by leaps and bounds, it's going to be a loooooong season.

The defense made huge strides last season. They were given no help from the offense and were so far down the crapper the previous seasons, that the improvement largely went unnoticed because it didn't show up in yardages and points.

Efficiency stats however suggest IU's defense went from the 100+ rankings the previous 6 years to being ranked in the mid 70s. Not good spot overall, but a huge jump from where we were especially considering it was year 1 of a new DC. Even maintaining this level of performance probably puts us in position for a bowl

"I've not seen anything from the staff to suggest that they will pull out close games."

How about Missouri and Purdue last year? Sure, its not definitive proof off what will come, but to suggest that you've seen nothing is disingenuous.

How exactly are we going to be worse than last year? Even with Tevin, we could barely score because had no passing threat. We get Sud back, still have good RBs and a very nice OL, and the defense did improve last year (although they still have a long way to go). This just seems a tad over the top.

Last edited:
That's a tough request. "In a perfect world" combined with "realistic?" LOL. I'd hazard a guess that, even if we do everything right, we lose to OSU and MSU. Between UM, PSU, Iowa and Maryland, we lose two more, even if we play to potential. Add one more random bad luck loss (probably Rutgers). I'd say 7-5 overall.
Counselor is spot on.......although I do like MTIOTF's scenario. Yeah I'd pay to see DD get hoisted up the flag pole by his scarlet and gray short hair.

BRC, if you watched last year, we also won a couple close games... Mizzu and PU. The staff dies need to become better game planers but we have a team that should be able to compete with most teams this year.

I think anywhere from 9-3 to 3-9.

This is an experienced and mature team on offense except at wide out. The two deep on the offensive line is filled with players who are in their 4th or 5th year in the program with multiple starts. Baker, as a RS frosh, is the only youngster. Tim Gardner sat out a year after leaving Ohio State and then was a RS last year, so he is really physically the equivalent of a Jr, although he doesn't have game experience. We should have one of the best offensive lines in the conference, and big holes should open up for Howard, a proven big time back, and Redding, and Sud should have plenty of time to throw. We need our wide outs to perform a lot better than last year, and if they do, it would appear on paper that we should score a lot of points once again with the proviso that Sud stays healthy. If he gets hurt, we do not have a Big 10 calibre replacement, and things will be like last year.

We also have a mature group of defensive line men, with most being 3, 4, or even 5 years out of HS. Nate Hoff, a pleasant surprise last year and a beast in the weight room, spent a year at the Naval Academy prep school, a red shirt year, and now is the equivalent of a 4th year player. Shaw and Rayner are 5th year players, Mangieri, Heffern, and Green are 4th year players, while Latham is a Jr. If this group can't put on pass rush, we will never have one. The secondary is young, but there is experience there, and our linebackers are experienced. We have a much better DC than before, and I see continued improvement on defense. Will it be enough? I don't know.

In my opinion, this is KW's make or break year for a bowl game. Recruiting was still surprisingly good last year, but has already tailed off so far this year with only three 3*'s so far. Even the pukes class is rated ahead of us right now, and teams like Minnesota and Northwestern are leaving us in their dust when it comes to 4* and 3* recruits. What is really telling is that we have 0 commits from the state of Indiana this year. We have struck out on most of the recruits on our A and B lists to other teams in the Big10 and even Kentucky. Without major improvement in our overall record this year, at least 7-5 or better, I am afraid recruiting will not get back to where it was a couple of years ago.

If we get lucky and get a few breaks here and there, this team should win at least 7 and possibly more. If the wide outs have not improved, and if we continue to blow games like we did last year with Bowling Green and Maryland (we stunk in that one and made Maryland's 2nd string qb look like a Heisman candidate in the 2nd half), or Minnesota and Navy the year before, we could easily end up 3-9 even if Sud stays healthy, with losses to Western Kentucky, Wake Forest, and pretty much everyone in the conference except maybe Purdue.

Make no mistake: I am as big an IU football fan as there is.
I drove back from Bowling Green last year vowing to never go to another IU road game in my life, only to watch them pull a stunner the next weekend at Mizzou.....and here I sit contemplating yet again whether I should make a 10 hour drive to watch them play at Wake Forest this season. Call me a masochist.

However, there has been a disturbing trend with this group to lose more than their share of games that could flip either way. Minnesota at home 2 years ago - snatching defeat from a potential victory. Navy at home and we looked completely unprepared. Bowling Green last year. We were fully healthy against Maryland at home and looked like we didn't belong on the same field.
I don't count Purdue last year because that team was horrid.
Our defense has to make huge strides this year if we are going to hope for anything above 3 wins because our offense is going struggle. No proven WRs and a new RB.

Last edited:
offenc
I drove back from Bowling Green last year vowing to never go to another IU road game in my life, only to watch them pull a stunner the next weekend at Mizzou.....and here I sit contemplating yet again whether I should make a 10 hour drive to watch them play at Wake Forest this season. Call me a masochist.

However, there has been a disturbing trend with this group to lose more than their share of games that could flip either way. Minnesota at home 2 years ago - snatching defeat from a potential victory. Navy at home and we looked completely unprepared. Bowling Green last year. We were fully healthy against Maryland at home and looked like we didn't belong on the same field.
Our defense has to make huge strides this year if we are going to hope for anything above 3 wins because our offense is going struggle. No proven WRs and a new RB.
e

offence going to struggle. are you serious? if we can keep nate upright, and hold our opponents to less than 30 a game, we have a good shot at 8 wins

Big Red - You and I are on the same page. I was totally bummed out by the loss at Bowling Green, but then the Mizzou win pumped me up enough to drive up for the Md game from Knoxville, only to leave totally dismayed after a dismal performance on both O and D. We really weren't playing very well against Iowa when Sud got hurt, and I think the odds were that we were going to lose that game whether or not he went down.

I would love to see a winning season, but Las Vegas will say the odds are fairly high against it happening! If we win all 4 non-C games, we should be able to pull out a few more W's and go bowling and the season will be a success. If we lose to either Western Ky or Wake, it will be another bad year and KW's attempt to turn the program around will have taken another big hit.

Reactions: codylance

I wasn't aware that Jordan Howard and Devine Redding have never played a down of college football.

I would love to see a winning season, but Las Vegas will say the odds are fairly high against it happening! If we win all 4 non-C games, we should be able to pull out a few more W's and go bowling and the season will be a success. If we lose to either Western Ky or Wake, it will be another bad year and KW's attempt to turn the program around will have taken another big hit.
Big Ten

Illinois: 3.5 (over -140, under +100)

Indiana: 6 (over +140, under -180)

Iowa: 7.5 (over -115, under -125)

Maryland: 4.5 (over -120, under -120)

Michigan: 7.5 (over -140, under +100)

Michigan State: 9.5 (over -140, under +100)

Minnesota: 5.5 (over -150, under +110)

Nebraska: 8 (over -120, under -120)

Northwestern: 6.5 (over +110, under -150)

Ohio State: 11 (over +100, under -140)

Penn State: 7.5 (over -135, under +105)

Purdue: 4 (over -145, under +105)

Rutgers: 5 (over -145, under +105)

Wisconsin: 10 (over +160, under -210)

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye...mes-releases-2015-college-football-win-totals

6-6. A somewhat better defense, an inconsistent offense, and average special teams, make a winning record difficult, as does looking up at five of the six other teams in the Big Ten East.

Sudfeld is in the upper half of BiG quarterbacks, and the O line is in the upper half, too. On D, there are a couple of solid linemen and linebackers, and Fant looks like a play maker.

The running game will be okay, but the receivers need to make a huge step up, and I'm not sure there's enough talent to do that. On D, there's still problems playing in space, and there's no consistent pressure from either the middle or from the edge.

Think there will be a number of close games and only a few (OSU, MSU) where they are way over their heads.

6 wins and six losses. If Sudfeld goes down I don't think we will win another game. I said this last year and was given a three-week time out. And I was wrong - Indiana beat Purdue.

Reactions: mk_peters
I wasn't aware that Jordan Howard and Devine Redding have never played a down of college football.

They will be competent but if they aren't able to combine for Coleman-like stats, we are going to have some quick 3-and-outs. Who are the WRs that are going to bail us out like Latimer, Wynn or Hughes?
This is not the fast moving offense we saw in 2013. We also don't have the physicality to grind on teams like a Wisconsin. As others have pointed out, if Suds goes down this team is toast. Wilson has all his chips on the table this year.

The offense can be average. The defense needs to approach that level.

7 - 5. Suds stays healthy and the defense improves and keeps us in several games no one thinks we should be in. We win some of them but drop a few surprises. It is a very fun season to watch and we all have a great time rooting the Hoosiers on.

I am always optimistic, which is not the best way to approach IU football, but I think there may be answers to the biggest questions on the team. The receivers should make a big jump in development, pretty common going from freshman to sophmore, and we have two wide outs that could have big impacts in Hawkins and Patrick that we havent seen in our system. My feeling is that the RB position will be fine with the players we have and our O line. It will all come down to defense, 7-5.

They will be competent but if they aren't able to combine for Coleman-like stats, we are going to have some quick 3-and-outs. Who are the WRs that are going to bail us out like Latimer, Wynn or Hughes?
This is not the fast moving offense we saw in 2013. We also don't have the physicality to grind on teams like a Wisconsin. As others have pointed out, if Suds goes down this team is toast. Wilson has all his chips on the table this year.

The offense can be average. The defense needs to approach that level.

Coleman got his stats from a lot of long runs. Howard and Redding don't anywhere near the same yardage to match or do even better than Coleman at first downs.

I think the receivers we have might be able to make that jump. Hughes and Latimer didn't do much their freshmen years with Wynn doing slightly better, then all increased their production 5 fold or more their Soph season.

Perfect world, 10-2. Realistic (Optimistic) 8-4. But I like MyTeamisontheFloors response. They are all winnable. How many people thought IU would beat Mizzou, and that the Hoosiers would take O$U deep into the 3rd quarter at the Horseshoe?

Why the Hoosiers will be better than the 3-9 to 6-6 crowd thinks. Better talent, more depth, and more experience. IU is deeper and more talented at every position group than last year with the exception of running back and defensive back (some would also say the receivers, but I would not agree). The defense also has one more year to adjust to the 3-4.

Defense-
I don't think anyone doubts that our DL and LB will be better and have greater depth. I think our run defense goes up several notches. The secondary lost all of its starters, but many of the returning DBs got a lot of playing time last year, particularly in the second half of the season. Dutra will anchor this unit, playing in every game last season with several starts. Fant, Clark and Fields all have the talent and significant game experience from last season. Look for Padmore to step up this season, and Ben Bach getting playing time (He was in the "starting" secondary for the spring game.) Almost all these guys are RS sophomores, with game experience and should be ready by B10 play. With the exception of Allen these guys are not replacing "All-Americans", I think by mid-season they will be better than recent units.

Offense-
The OL is deep, talented and experienced (more than even last season). IU has more experience and depth at QB, with Sudfeld returning and Diamont having a half a season of starts all against B10 teams. The receivers are talented Booth, Hawkins and Cobb were some of the most sought after talents out of high school, and Harris has shown flashes of greatness. Ricky Jones has shown good potential. I also think Fuchs will become a prime target at TE or outside. These guys underperformed last year because no one could get them the ball consistently. Our passing yards in the first three games after Sudfeld went out were 11, 24 and 68. The Hoosiers only threw the ball 8 times against Michigan. The receivers did drop some balls, and appeared at times to have issues with routes, but the passing game has two sides the throw and the catch. Good QBs can make receivers good and good receivers can help make a QB. IU was inexperienced at both last year. The passing game was not good enough for the receivers to gain confidence in the system and themselves. As for running backs, Coleman will be missed- big time. However, there is a great deal of talent in the wings. Howard and Redding have game experience and have huge upsides. Mister could be a breakout player. If Howard comes on and becomes the starting RB, you will see a different IU scheme. For those of you that have been waiting for a run oriented, ball control offense this might be your season. Looking at film on Howard, he gets better as the game goes on, and he is a every down, 30 carries a game runner who appears to always get positive yards. This style and talent combined with Redding or Mister as a breakaway runner, could really open up the IU playbook and make the Hoosiers very difficult for defenses to prepare for and stop.

The schedule this season also helps the Hoosiers, starting with three home games before going to Wake. WKU is going to be a real challenge. If they win that game, I think this is going to be the Hoosiers break out year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pelkowski and jom59
Perfect world, 10-2. Realistic (Optimistic) 8-4. But I like MyTeamisontheFloors response. They are all winnable. How many people thought IU would beat Mizzou, and that the Hoosiers would take O$U deep into the 3rd quarter at the Horseshoe?

Why the Hoosiers will be better than the 3-9 to 6-6 crowd thinks. Better talent, more depth, and more experience. IU is deeper and more talented at every position group than last year with the exception of running back and defensive back (some would also say the receivers, but I would not agree). The defense also has one more year to adjust to the 3-4.

Defense-
I don't think anyone doubts that our DL and LB will be better and have greater depth. I think our run defense goes up several notches. The secondary lost all of its starters, but many of the returning DBs got a lot of playing time last year, particularly in the second half of the season. Dutra will anchor this unit, playing in every game last season with several starts. Fant, Clark and Fields all have the talent and significant game experience from last season. Look for Padmore to step up this season, and Ben Bach getting playing time (He was in the "starting" secondary for the spring game.) Almost all these guys are RS sophomores, with game experience and should be ready by B10 play. With the exception of Allen these guys are not replacing "All-Americans", I think by mid-season they will be better than recent units.

Offense-
The OL is deep, talented and experienced (more than even last season). IU has more experience and depth at QB, with Sudfeld returning and Diamont having a half a season of starts all against B10 teams. The receivers are talented Booth, Hawkins and Cobb were some of the most sought after talents out of high school, and Harris has shown flashes of greatness. Ricky Jones has shown good potential. I also think Fuchs will become a prime target at TE or outside. These guys underperformed last year because no one could get them the ball consistently. Our passing yards in the first three games after Sudfeld went out were 11, 24 and 68. The Hoosiers only threw the ball 8 times against Michigan. The receivers did drop some balls, and appeared at times to have issues with routes, but the passing game has two sides the throw and the catch. Good QBs can make receivers good and good receivers can help make a QB. IU was inexperienced at both last year. The passing game was not good enough for the receivers to gain confidence in the system and themselves. As for running backs, Coleman will be missed- big time. However, there is a great deal of talent in the wings. Howard and Redding have game experience and have huge upsides. Mister could be a breakout player. If Howard comes on and becomes the starting RB, you will see a different IU scheme. For those of you that have been waiting for a run oriented, ball control offense this might be your season. Looking at film on Howard, he gets better as the game goes on, and he is a every down, 30 carries a game runner who appears to always get positive yards. This style and talent combined with Redding or Mister as a breakaway runner, could really open up the IU playbook and make the Hoosiers very difficult for defenses to prepare for and stop.

The schedule this season also helps the Hoosiers, starting with three home games before going to Wake. WKU is going to be a real challenge. If they win that game, I think this is going to be the Hoosiers break out year.
IU doesn't have the kind of line that would enable them to have a ball control, run oriented offense. Not physical enough, with the exception of Feeney, who is the best guy up front.

Defense-

Offense-

Hey sunshine pumper... You do realize once IU took the lead late in the 3rd quarter, they went on a 28-0 run? Maybe they played their worst game of the year on a crappy Saturday a week before they played their rival?

IU's secondary play alone should give pause for predicted anything over 7 wins. Sud may stay healthy all year but this LB and secondary gives me real concerns.

Who Else recruited Hawkins And Cobb in the B1G besides Illinios? And how can you say with a straight face that we have more depth and experience at QB than anyone? Lol... Ummm... B. Miller, JT Barrett or C. Jones at OSU or Even McEvoy and Stave at Wisconsin? I could go on but man... You went full retard here bud.

Last edited:
Hey sunshine pumper... You do realize once IU took the lead late in the 3rd quarter, they went on a 28-0 run? Maybe they played their worst game of the year on a crappy Saturday a week before they played their rival?

IU's secondary play alone should give pause for predicted anything over 7 wins. Sud may stay healthy all year but this LB and secondary gives me real concerns.

Who Else recruited Hawkins And Cobb in the B1G besides Illinios? And how can you say with a straight face that we have more depth and experience at QB than anyone? Lol... Ummm... B. Miller, JT Barrett or C. Jones at OSU or Even McEvoy and Stave at Wisconsin? I could go on but man... You went full retard here bud.
Don't think Hawkins had any B1G offers, BUT , he was top 50 at his position and signed with Florida out of high school. His other offers included Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Ole Miss, Miss St, North Carolina, Tennessee and Southern Cal. Remains to be seen what he will do for us, but clearly he impressed some pretty good schools

Big Ten

Illinois: 3.5 (over -140, under +100)

Indiana: 6 (over +140, under -180)

Iowa: 7.5 (over -115, under -125)

Maryland: 4.5 (over -120, under -120)

Michigan: 7.5 (over -140, under +100)

Michigan State: 9.5 (over -140, under +100)

Minnesota: 5.5 (over -150, under +110)

Nebraska: 8 (over -120, under -120)

Northwestern: 6.5 (over +110, under -150)

Ohio State: 11 (over +100, under -140)

Penn State: 7.5 (over -135, under +105)

Purdue: 4 (over -145, under +105)

Rutgers: 5 (over -145, under +105)

Wisconsin: 10 (over +160, under -210)

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye...mes-releases-2015-college-football-win-totals
-180??? Why not just make it 5.5?

As the broken record plays on....until IU can put together something that resembles a semi-competent defense, it won't win games. Period.

They can talk "bigger, stronger, faster" all they want but we were still dead last in the conference in statistical defensive categories that matter. If we are able to drop our ypg another 50 yards and shave 7 points off the ppg, we can talk. Until then, it's just blowing smoke.

Reactions: Orbit7958

Hawkins was recruited and had offers from Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, and Tenn. as well as others. Booth had offers from Alabama, FSU, Ill., Texas A&M, Wisc., and Indiana flipped him from Tenn. Cobb IU flipped from Purdue.

You miss read my statement about the QB situation. I stated that IU's QBs will have more experience and depth this year, than last years IU team. I did not say they were the most experienced QB squad in the B10. Last year Sudfeld was the only QB in fall camp who had taken a snap in a college game. He is back this year, and Diamont has significant playing time (starts and complete games) against B10 opponents not cheap snaps in scrub time at the end of the game. So it is a statement of fact that they are more experienced.

IU's secondary play alone should give pause for predicted anything over 7 wins. Sud may stay healthy all year but this LB and secondary gives me real concerns....

When you look at the defense, most fans and critics alike think the LBs will actually be a strength. I like that group best of any unit.

The DL is ranked by most prognosticators as #14th in the conference......and that doesn't bode well for your defense as a whole when the key component of your unit is the weakest link.
I believe that Nate Hoff is the best guy up there and the rest have sorely underperformed.

You lost me when you said the LB crew gives you pause. I think that is the strength of the team this year. Agree on secondary, though.

Cobb and Hawkins (and Patrick) were very highly recruited and I see the WR group making huge strides this year.

7-5.

Don't think Hawkins had any B1G offers, BUT , he was top 50 at his position and signed with Florida out of high school. His other offers included Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Ole Miss, Miss St, North Carolina, Tennessee and Southern Cal. Remains to be seen what he will do for us, but clearly he impressed some pretty good schools
Hawkins wasn't good enough to get on the field as a true freshman and hasn't played a down since high school. He may be a great player someday, but that remains to be seen, I think. Cobb was very lightly recruited and was viewed by most other programs as a safety rather than a receiver.

I gave my 12-0.
Here's a more serious look - based on your parameters - Sudfeld plays and defense is fixed.

Sep. 5 Southern Illinois
There are 2 ways you win an opener against a I-AA team. The "top 20" proves early they are superior. Scoring early and easy, and forcing punts. IF we're "fixed" we can do that.
1-0

Sept. 12 Florida Int'l
CUSA is struggling to find its identity. Their good teams are dangerous. FIU is trying to be one of those, but hasn't got there yet. BUT, they have Ron Turner as their coach and this is his 3rd year. He recruits in the target rich Florida environment. We probabaly won't dominate this game, but we can/will win if we are fixed.
2-0.

Sep. 19 Western Kentucky
A "bell-weather" game. Could be trhe hardest of the 4 OOC games. Western - when they are "on" - are scary good on offense. Doughty (QB) puts up incredible numbers. 68% completions. 4800 yards. He loses some targets this year, but it won't matter. He is the straw and I could catch his throws. Leon Allen (RB) is a Jordan Howard clone - 6'0" 235, and put up 1500 in a passing offense. The OL is big (300-285-310-310-310). BUT their defense has really been inconsistent. I think this game is a shootout. Worst defense loses. I like our defense better.
3-0.

Sep. 26 at Wake Forest
Another bell-weather game. In most years, the bottom of the ACC is better than the bottom of the Big 10. Historically, Wake is us in the ACC. Always struggling to get there. Clawson is in his second year. They are not yet ready for prime time. We should be ahead of them in the rebuild process. Even on the road, if we are fixed, we win.
4-0.

Oct. 3 Ohio State
Not yet.
4-1.

Oct. 10 at Penn State
If at home, too close to call. Predicting it 3 months in advance, got to call it a loss, even if fixed. 4-2

Oct. 17 Rutgers
RU has to break in a new QB and 3 new OL. They won't put 45 on us again, and we scored 23 on them at their place in Zander's best game. We had a second half defensive collapse. A fixed IU rights the ship and issues a payback at home.
5-2.

Oct. 24 at Michigan State
Not yet.
5-3.

Nov. 7 Iowa
Iowa isn't bad, but their fans are tired of medium and the program is surrounded by negativity. Imagine Tre Roberson giving them an opener loss at home, followed by a loss at rival Iowa State. Then Pitt. Their season could go off the rails quick.They beat us 45-29 last year. With 5 minutes to go in the first quarter, it was 0-0. The first quarter ended with them up 28-7. They scored on a 15 play drive, then a Pick-6, then a 1 play 72 yard TD. Coleman broke a long one, and Iowa scored on a 1-play drive 60 yard run. Our absolute worst defensive play of the season. I thin we are now two ships pqssing in the night - Iowa on the way down, and us one the way up.
6-3.
BOWL ELIGIBLE.

Nov. 14 Michigan
Harbaugh's first year is a dud. They're gonna start Iowa's 5th year QB. Their defense is very good, and I think that's the difference this year.
6-4

Nov. 21 at Maryland
They beat us 37-15. They threw 22-33, and 360 yards/3 TD's. Their front 7 on defense are a problem area for them. They return 1 starting DL and return a guy from knee surgery, and 1 returning LB with experience. This late in the year they will either be OK or completely lost. But I like our front 7 anyway. IU's first trip to Maryland. No smiles. All business. IU wins it on the ground.
7-4.

Nov. 28 at Purdue
POTFB.
8-4.
Purdue children ask their daddies "will I ever get to touch the Bucket"?
Bowls are fighting over IU - the biggest story in the sport.
Coach Wilson gets a statue.

Need some big big play to get there, but IMO this is our ceiling for this year.
It assume Nate is great, we get big play outta newbies (Patrick, Howard, Hawkins), and fix the secondary.
Our DL has to stay nealthy and play better.
Our LB/Bandits need to MASTER the 3-4.

PS - Phil Steele predicts Tyler Greene starts at corner.

Last edited:
Reactions: IndyCusp
Hawkins wasn't good enough to get on the field as a true freshman and hasn't played a down since high school. He may be a great player someday, but that remains to be seen, I think. Cobb was very lightly recruited and was viewed by most other programs as a safety rather than a receiver.
I believe I said, "it remains to be seen what he will do for us", however , my response was to a post that insinuated that Hawkins had not been heavily recruited, which was not true. Furthermore, not getting on the field at UF as a freshmen is certainly not a sin. I have no idea how good our receiving core will be this year, but there are certainly more athletes to choose from, I look for a much improved group. How much is the real question that won't be answered until the games begin.

In a perfect world we have a slim chance at 8 wins, but we don't live in a perfect world and this is IU football where everything that can go wrong, WILL go wrong. We have enough for 6 wins I think barring catastrophic injuries again. 7 wins is also doable, but I'd say it's less than a 25% chance of happening. I'm going with 6 and 6 and it'll take a win over the Boilies to get that 6th win and bowl bid.

6-6. Wins over Southern Illinois, Florida International, Western Kentucky and Wakeep Forest. Then 2 B1G wins over Purdue and Penn State. There are winnable games against Rutgers and Iowa. Or even Michigan. But I don't see that happening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT